question

hajok avatar image
hajok asked

MPPT Control display - stuck in ‘connecting’ status

After using the MPPT Control in conjunction with the Smart Solar 75/15 for about a year the MPPT Control had the ‘CONNECTING’ issue in november after updating the Smart Solar to firmware v1.53. Disconnecting/connecting the VE cable resolved the issue for about a day... Every time the ‘CONNECTING’ message renders the display inoperable. An update to v1.54 made no avail.

After contacting the dealer did an update at their workshop of the MPPT Control but afterwards the display mentioned ‘UNSUPPORTED F ’_’ VERSION’. In the end the display was swapped for a new one. The new display has functioned for a few days until I checked it again yesterday (11 days after installing).

some (maybe useful) info:

-The smart solar still runs v1.54 (VictronConnect v5.35) and has no problems.
-The camper unit is placed under a carport so the (2x 80wp solar panels parallel) have no input whatsoever.

-running a LiFePo4 4-cell Chinese brand fully balanced battery with a VictronConnect blue smart IP67 12V/17A mains charger. The battery is floating @ 13.52V.

Is this issue software or hardware related? Hopefully fixable with a new firmware?

MPPT Control display
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
hajok avatar image
hajok answered ·

Hi Thiemo, to clear things up: the new MPPT has the same problem as the old one: it shows ‘CONNECTING’, but (at least the first time) after a longer period then the old one. Software version MPPT Control is 01.01.

Kind regards, Hajo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Hajok,

To bad that they did not update the new MPPT Control to version 1.02. I just tested the combination of a v1.02 MPPT Control and a v1.54 SmartSolar 75/15 and that worked in my case. So I would still advice to update the MPPT Control to version 1.02, as this contains fixes for possible communication problems, leading to a continuous "CONNECTING".

The MPPT Control can be updated using VictronConnect v5.34 or newer, a VE.Direct USB cable and the "battery cable" that came with the MPPT Control.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

hajok avatar image
hajok answered ·

Hi Thiemo, could you maybe run this test for at least a day? The display runs fine for at least a couple of hours... until I check the next day everything seems fine.

Kind regard, Hajo

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Hajok

Did the problems with v1.02 also appear after a longer period or immediately on connecting?

As said, we know version 1.01 can have connectivity problems that mostly show themselves after a longer period but the known problems were fixed in v1.02.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
hajok avatar image
hajok answered ·

Hi Thiemo, I never checked the firmware of the original MPPT control beforehand. After receiving the updated (original) display it only showed ‘unsupported fw version’. The new display is running fw v01.01.

In the meantime the Smart Solar has no issues whatsoever since installing (December 2019).

Kind regards, Hajo

4 comments
2 |3000

@Hajok

Did you connect the updated MPPT Control only once or multiple times and did it then show 'unsupported fw version' every time?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
hajok avatar image hajok Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi @Thiemo, I’m not sure but I think I connected the display twice, pressed al the buttons just to be sure and let it run for a couple of hours. It just showed ‘unsupported fw version’.

In the meantime: just checked the new display, it runs ok from yesterday 15.00 hours.

Kind regards, Hajo

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Hajok,

I would still advice to update the firmware of the MPPT Control to v1.02, as we know this solves communication issues that lead to the continuous 'CONNECTING' and we did see a problem with the SmartSolar 75/15 v1.54.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
hajok avatar image hajok Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi @Thiemo, Today the MPPT Control v01.01 showed, after 3 days, ‘CONNECTING‘ again. The dealer confirmed that the initial (updated) display showing ‘UNSUPPORTED FW VERSION’ was running v01.02.

Being offered a full refund and return the MPPT Control I took the opportunity to replace it with the BMV-712 as a proper battery monitor. Therefore the update of the new display to fw v01.02 is no longer needed.

Thank you for your support!

Kind regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image
Stephen Roche answered ·

Hi,

At the weekend I found I have the exact same issue - the MPPT Control continually scolls 'connecting'. From reading the above, I'm usure what to do to correct it.

I have these versions in play:

* Smart Solar MPPT 100/30, firmware v1.56

* SmartSolar Bluetooth Interface, firmware v2.25

* Victron Connect, v5.43

* From the sticker on the back of the MPPT Control, v1.01

Is the solution to upgrade the MPPT Control to v1.02? Are there any explicit instructions on how to do that myself? Or must I return the unit to my supplier? From what has been said above it's unclear, I have only an MPPT Control and separately purchased VE.Direct cable, no power cable?

Steve...

10 comments
2 |3000

Hi,

A solution that is expected to work is indeed updating the MPPT Control firmware to version 1.02. This can be done using a VE.Direct USB cable. This can then be used with a windows laptop running VictronConnect or an Android phone with USB on the go (e.g. USB-C->USB-A adapter). The power cable was sold together with the MPPT control and looks like this:

1624881769910.png

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
1624881769910.png (111.9 KiB)
Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
I have purchased the VE.Direct to USB cable, will likely have the power cable on board if it was in the box with the MPPT Control.

Just to be clear, I presume I then download the latest VictronConnect software to my laptop (seems to be v5.42 from the downloads page), that download will contain v1.02 of the firmware for the MPPT Control. Then plug the USB into the computer, the other end directly into the back of the MPPT Control, and the software should tell me about an update and ask me to do it? Failing that go to the product info page for the device and update the firmware from there?

Is there anything more?

Thanks, Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ Stephen Roche commented ·

Hi,

That should indeed be the procedure.

Should you run into problems updating the MPPT Control, please make a service report (https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report) and attach that when writing a reply here.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi,

I've looked for the power cable but can't find it anywhere! Am I able to buy one? If so can you suggest where from here in the uk?

Thanks, Steve...

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ Stephen Roche commented ·

Hi @Stephen Roche

Please contact you distributor for a RMA request. If you do not know who your distributor was, you can use the following form: Support request - Victron Professional (victronenergy.com)

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

Finally back on board with all the suggested cables and software, but still struggling. Not happy.

I have a power cable as shown above and it is connected to a battery and then into the back of the MPPT Control. I have a VE Direct to USB cable plugged into the computer and into the MPPT control. I have downloaded VictronConnect v5.46 and installed.

Now, when I run VictronConnect on my laptop, it fails to find the MPPT Control device, and hence I cannot update the firmware. I can click the refresh icon, bottom left, nothing is displayed. Have tried a reboot, re-install - no luck. The MPPT Control itself is scrolling 'Disconnected' continually.

Can you offer any advice please? I checked the VE Direct pins, all straight and correct.

Steve...

screenshot-2021-08-01-212358.gif

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

When you connect the VE.Direct USB cable to the vedirect port of the MPPT, does the MPPT show up in VictronConnect?

Besides that, can you please create a VictronConnect service report and attach that to the answer? The procedure is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi,

So, I sent the unit back to my supplier who updated it to the latest version 1.02 and returned the unit to me - after 2 weeks I am back where I started, the unit is continually scrolling 'connecting'. I can unplug the unit and plug it back in, again it will work for around 2 weeks and then revert back to the same issue.

Do you have any further suggestions please?

Steve...

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Stephen Roche

Unfortunately I do not have any other suggestions at this moment. We are looking into this as we received another report of this behavior: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/98779/mppt-control-connecting.html

Up to this moment we are however not able to reproduce the problem and that makes it really hard to find and fix the problem.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for the note, appreciate it's hard to reproduce, but definitely an issue as there are quite a few reports of this on the net.

I shall ask my supplier for a replacement unit, ensuring it is at version v1.02, and if that fails in the same way ask for a refund.

Steve...

0 Likes 0 ·
sgffinn avatar image
sgffinn answered ·

Hello: I wanted to advise Victron that I am experiencing the exact same issue as described by Stephen Roche. My Airstream came equipped with a Victron 150/35 BlueSolar Controller and a standard MPPT control display. After discovering that our Controller was not BlueTooth enabled, we had it removed and upgraded to the SmartSolar version--primarily to take advantage of the Victron Connect APP. Shortly after the upgrade--approximately 2 weeks--the MPPT Control Display kept scrolling "Connecting"--just as described by others on this community. The VictronConnect APP worked fine and all relevant data was showing, but the wall mounted Display kept saying connecting. Being sightly technically versed, I opted for the "Fail Safe" solution and unplugged the display, waited 5 minutes and reconnected--and it started working again. I then discovered that Victron makes a Smart version of the MPPT display that is bluetooth enabled. So, I thought maybe the issue was that the Controller was Smart (BT) but the wall mounted display was not. So I purchased a Smart MPPT display only to discover that it was not a simple case of disconnecting the old MPPT display and plugging in the new Smart Display. The old MPPT display only has one 4 pin connecting wire that runs from the MPPT controller to the display. When I just plugged in the new Smart Display to the VE 4 pin connector, it worked for 2 minutes then stopped. This is when I discovered that the Smart display requires both the VE4 pin and a USB power power connection. But the good news was when I did plug in the new Control Display and located it on my Connect APP I was prompted to download new Firmware for the 150/35 SmartSolar Controller. I removed the Smart Display and re-installed the old MPPT Control Display (non bluetooth). It connected and--that was about 6 weeks ago--worked 100%. So, I assumed the original "Connecting Issue" was due to old Firmware. But--wait for it--went out today and guess what--"Connecting" has reappeared.

The specifics of my set-up are: SmartController 150/35, Firmware 1.56, MPPT Control Display V1.01 and VictronConnect App V 5.47. All settings I accessed said "Latest Software". And again, the MPPT says "Connecting", but the VictronApp does display all the "Vitals". I know that I really do not need the MPPT wall display if I have the App, but it just seems that this a clearly an underlying software issue with the MPPT display that should be fixed. More importantly, like others commenting above, it works, then stops for no apparent reason. Is it possible that a non Bluetooth MPPT control display just does not work with a SmartSolar Controller. I could not find any comments on this anywhere. It might just be assumed that if you have a SmartSolar controller and the APP you do not need a wall mounted monitor.

Lastly, I am very appreciative that someone from Victron is addressing this issue. For some, like myself, who purchased the Victron equipment pre-installed in a RV, the RV dealerships in-turn buy these units from distributers of which none have been the slightest bit responsive to my inquiries. The RV dealer has no technical support. Sad but true. Hopefully an answer from Victron mught be forthcoming for all of us.

2 |3000

Hello @Hajok , @Stephen Roche and @sgffinn

So after more reports and more testing we found a problem in the MPPT control that could lead to the MPPT Control getting stuck in "connecting". After finding the source or the problem, we are now in the process of releasing a new MPPT Control firmware that should fix this issue.

The error was triggered by noise on the VE.Direct lines at a specific position in the communication between the MPPT and the MPPT Control.... As this does not seem to be a wide spread problem, it looks like some installations are more likely to run into this problem. This maybe due to the VE.Direct cable being installed differently, for example running closer and longer beside a "noisy" battery or PV cable.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

howie65 avatar image howie65 commented ·

Hello Thiemo, just to inform you that I have the same "Connecting" issue with MPPT Control 1.02 and a SmartSolar 100/20. My VE.Direct cable is the shortest available version (0.3 m) and therfore I cannot say that it runs longer beside a "noisy" battery or PV cable. Nevertheless I will ask the dealer for an update to 1.03 and hope this will fix the issue.

Kind regards,

Bernd

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image
Stephen Roche answered ·

Thiemo,

Many thanks for the note and details provided. Whilst waiting for a firmware update, is it worth me re-running the VE.Direct cable away from all battery positive cables? Currently my VE.Direct cable runs from the MPPT Controller next to the battery bank through to the MPPT Control alongside the battery positive cable, it's a run of approximately 5-6 metres. I could run it another route where this would not be the case, only briefly coming near the battery negative?

Let me know if this would be a useful test, or if I should wait for the firmware update. Are there any timescales on delivery of the new firmware?

Steve...

2 |3000

UPDATED ON 2022-01-06.

Hi @Hajok , @Stephen Roche and @sgffinn

We found a problem in the firmware that causes your issue. Its now fixed and been thoroughly tested.

For any issues with the MPPT Control, make sure to get that updated firmware version v1.03 and make sure to update the Solar Charger to the latest version as well. That version was released in September 2021. And since then all issues are solved and no new reports.

Here is how to update your MPPT Control to the new firmware.

In case you don’t feel comfortable doing this update yourself, then don’t hesitate and contact your dealer.

The firmware can be updated by either of the following methods:

• Using a VE.Direct to USB interface (part number ASS030530010) and VictronConnect v5.34 or newer. VictronConnect is available for download from our website:
    https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/victronconnect.. There is no need to separately download the firmware file, its already included in VictronConnect.
  • By connecting the MPPT Control to a Victron GX device with internet connectivity using a VE.Direct cable (for example the one that is used to connect the MPPT Control to the MPPT) and then use the remote firmware update functionality of the VRM website: https://vrm.victronenergy.com

For both methods, it is required to use the battery cable that was supplied with the MPPT Control. In case the cable is no longer available, contact your dealer to get a (free) spare – and note that he might need to get it from Victron Repairs and this might take some time in transportation.

Our apologies for the issues caused!

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

Ps: as this post might age, for latest instructions and firmware, you can always check https://professional.victronenergy.com. Account is free.

7 comments
2 |3000

Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche commented ·

Thiemo,

After some delays getting the firmware updated on my control to v1.0.3, I can confirm it's been running for 6-8 weeks now without any further issues, so it's looking good for the issue being fixed.

Many thanks for the help with this.

Steve...

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Stephen Roche

Thank you for reporting the problem and especially for reporting back about the status with the new firmware. Good to hear that everything seems to be working much more stable now.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
tommo avatar image tommo Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Can I send mine to victron to get it updated? I don’t have access to a pc to update so for over a year I’ve had a faulty display, I tried to ask here but no one replies,

please tell me what to do

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi all, just FYI: I updated Thiemo’s post about v1.03 to contain all necessary info and then pressed the accept answer button - to get it at the top in case anyone is looking for a solution to the same issue.

Thank you for your help and patience!

0 Likes 0 ·
tommo avatar image tommo mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Can I send mine to victron to get it updated? I don’t have access to a pc to update so for over a year I’ve had a faulty display, I tried to ask here but no one replies,

please tell me what to do

1 Like 1 ·
tommo avatar image tommo mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Does anyone read this?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ tommo commented ·
Hi Tommo, sorry to hear that! And no, we don’t 100% monitor all replies and manages, sorry.

I’ll send you an email. Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic