question

Sveinung L. Johansen avatar image
Sveinung L. Johansen asked

Within 2-3 days SOC dropped from 90% to 7%

Hi,
As you can see from the attached graph SOC dropped from 90% to 7% in the span of 2-3 days.  The system has been up and running since June and nothing like this have happened before. The consumption has been more or less constant for a long time (25W) and the only thing that draws power directly from the battery is the CCGX.

Could this drop be a result of some “maintenance” routine initiated from the CCGX or the BYD BMU/BMS?

The system consists of the following components:

•Color Control GX
•MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48
•BYD B-Box Pro 7.5
•SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/60
•
Regards
Sveinung

1605094160988.png
Lithium BatteryCCGX Color ControlSOCBYD
1605094160988.png (55.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Sveinung,

This model of batteries have an issue where they are not very good at measuring very low power demand, anything less than 50W ~1A per module is not very reliable - this is explained a bit more in the BYD Victron integration guide here.

This is not normally an issue if the battery is recharging to 100% - 55.1+ V. At that voltage, it will recalibrate the SOC reading.

It seems like something has changed in that time that meant the battery was no longer reaching that 'recalibration' voltage threshold.

I can only speculate why that might be the case, but that is surely the explanation for inexplicable SOC drop.

PS you have my curiosity for why have this considerable power system seemingly doing no work, and connected to no loads (except the monitoring)?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sveinung L. Johansen avatar image Sveinung L. Johansen commented ·

Hi,

Thank you that explains it :)

This is an off-grid system up in the mountains in Norway and at this time of the year the road is closed and the cottage is not in use. The only thing that draws power is a 4G router, WEB cam base station and a 220v - 12v inverter for a remotly controlled paraffin oven.

This is how it looks today:
1605098931053.png

and the installation:
1605099061728.png

BR

Sveinung

0 Likes 0 ·
1605098931053.png (1.2 MiB)
1605099061728.png (4.1 MiB)
Sveinung L. Johansen avatar image Sveinung L. Johansen commented ·

Hi,

Then it happened again and this time the system shut down. My question is will the batteries survive the winter with voltage as low as 48.5V? Might take a couple of months before I’m able to get up there again.

1605593642246.png

/Sveinung

0 Likes 0 ·
1605593642246.png (103.3 KiB)
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Sveinung

I'm curious too. You have some other load in your system that isn't showing on that graph. My system does the same, seemingly anything that doesn't go through the Multi, like dc loads, doesn't make it onto that chart. Even with a Smartshunt (in my case), it doesn't show.

And you have some relatively massive solar days compared to your graphed usage, that isn't reflected in a rise in the SOC reading.

Something else seems to be happening. Where's that energy going?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page