question

maury-mitchell avatar image
maury-mitchell asked

Why does my inverter trip the breaker when first connecting?

I have installed a Victron 3000/120/12/50 into a new van build and when I have it plugged into a 20 amp shore power and have 3-4 amps (in breaker panel) already turned on with breaker; I turn on the inverter and it trips always. Now the inverter shows low battery when it trips......why when the batteries are full and the shore power is on. If I shut the two breakers off and turn on the inverter first before I flip a couple low amperage breakers the inverter will not kick off. Any ideas. Thx

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Maury Mitchell

The inrush current on the first start up or switch on is quite large. There is a nice power pack of capacitors in the invertor that needs the energy.

If you have lithiums it is possible the bms has shut down to protect itself. Or are not able to provide the current draw of your inverter. We have a resistor bank we use for lithiums with no precharge circuit. And if you are using grid to make the initial startup you will need a much larger breaker input.

Once you are past this initial one you will be fine.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maury-mitchell avatar image maury-mitchell commented ·

Thanks for your help, yes I have 3 Renogy Lithium’s.

0 Likes 0 ·
maury-mitchell avatar image maury-mitchell maury-mitchell commented ·

Where did you get your resistor bank?

0 Likes 0 ·
maury-mitchell avatar image maury-mitchell maury-mitchell commented ·

I never did that.

0 Likes 0 ·
maury-mitchell avatar image
maury-mitchell answered ·

Thanks, I just was in the vehicle earlier and everything was off except the positive disconnect. It still tripped my 20amp dedicated circuit. Then I turned the disconnect off, reset the breaker and turned on the Victron 3000. It came on and then I could run my 120 volt items.

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Its possible your breaker isn't quite the right rating, don't about the us breaker classes but, this side of the pond you get Class B for lights class C for light inrush currents and class D for heavy use like motor starting etc. Might be worth taking a look at that

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic