question

cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel asked

Orion-Tr prevent backfeeding?

I have a 24v system in my Fifth Wheel RV. I have my DC loads connected through a BatteryProtect. One of these DC loads is an Orion-Tr 24/12-9 which I use as a maintainer on a lawn mower battery. This small battery is used purely for cranking my Onan generator as well as the uninterruptible 12v DC power source for my trailer brakes if the break-away is pulled.

My challenge is that the break-away is wired such that it draws power from the battery directly in parallel to 12v being provided by the 7-pin trailer harness on my truck. When I have my truck connected, it will provide 12v power to the battery and my question is will this also feed back through the Orion-Tr and try to go back through the BatteryProtect. I am aware the BatteryProtects should only be used in one direction so I want to understand am I putting my system at risk with this configuration or does the Orion-Tr prevent the backfeeding of power from the truck towards the 24v battery bank.

I can simply pull the associated fuse in my truck to not power that pin in the harness but want to know if this is in fact needed or not.

Thanks!

Battery ProtectOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Saff avatar image
Saff answered ·

So 24V bank > BatteryProtect > Orion 24/12-9 > 12V batteries (7 pin feed here) > Trailer Brake controller

If the power from your 7 pin is going to the 12V battery in the above (my understanding of your setup) you will have no issues at all. The Orion will not backfeed as such and your model is designed to be fully isolated.

I would be hesitant to stop the power supply via the 7 pin to the brake system - best to have this as designed for safety.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cookinwitdiesel avatar image cookinwitdiesel commented ·

The 7-pin 12v+ to brake away to 12v battery is all uninterrupted which is needed for proper and safe operation. But otherwise, yes, you are understanding the setup properly. So it sounds like the Orion-Tr DOES prevent backfeeding which is good - I figured it likely did but wanted to be sure.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic