question

jeremyindenver avatar image
jeremyindenver asked

Orion 48/12 ok when alternator is charging?

I have a 48v off-grid setup in an extremely cold weather area. The generator has a cold weather kit that uses it's own 12v starter battery to heat the battery and oil pan. I installed an Orion Tr 48/12 30 amp to keep the starter battery charged.

Can I have the Orion constantly charging the starter battery, even when the generator is running and the alternator is pushing power into the battery? Unfortunately the 48v Orions are not "smart", and there is very little documentation about how it actually works.

Currently we have the on/off jumper wired to relay two on the Venus GX, but that can only be toggled manually.

GeneratorOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jeremyindenver

It is really more of knowing whether the battery can take the charge it is being given. Are you overcharging it? Check the c rating, voltages and other specs then measure with a meter. If it is not then you have no worries there.

From what I understand, there is no algorithm like the newer smart units, but the orion does tail off charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop