question

jwallebring avatar image
jwallebring asked

Phoenix Inverter upside down mounting

Hi!

I have built a solar electric box with phoenix inverter mounted upside down inside it. but I read in the manual that it is not recommended to mount the inverter upside down. I wonder if it is still ok that the inverter is mounted upside down according to my construction? if not, why is it not recommended?

original-d031a80d-3047-4d3d-a4e1-bfbe31b93dcd-img.jpg

Phoenix Inverterinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@jwallebring, I will add one other very good reason not to do this:

1. As you have this unit mounted you now have the unit's toroidal transformer hanging from its mounting points, which it is not designed to do - it is designed to rest on its mounts, not hang from them. You run a not-insignificant risk of, while you're rolling that cart around and hit a bump, the transformer breaking loose from its mounts and crushing the upper components... and since the damage would have been due to installation error, the damage would likely not be covered by warranty. Gravity works, and it's not kind to dense, heavy components like transformers when they're not mounted properly.

It might also be argued that mounting the inverter this way could affect its cooling, but honestly I think that's less of a real concern... but the effect of gravity on the transformer is and I very strongly advise that you correct this installation to bring it into compliance with the specified mounting methods laid out in the user manual.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwallebring avatar image jwallebring commented ·

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA Thanks for detailed clarifications. That seems reasonable. I am going to use the system for my campervan, so alot of bumpy roads indeed (the cart is just for transportation of different sort of things). I have now switch to base mounting on the wooden floor.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The plastic mounting ears would not be strong enough to hold the unit upside down. Those ears might snap off especially with a mobile unit.

2 comments
2 |3000

jwallebring avatar image jwallebring commented ·

Alright, nothing more? Thats easy to fix by wrapping it in with straps. I chose strong metal straps through the wooden board around the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
levi1234 avatar image levi1234 commented ·

The metallic frame has mounting ears of its own underneath those plastic ears.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic