question

arthurgeorge avatar image
arthurgeorge asked

is it possible to run a 3phase 15kw/20hp induction motor with a 15kva x3 in 3phase victron inverter

me already TEMPhas plans to take my farm off-grid wif solar but I is having a problem in getting the best design for those loads their, dis is the highest-rated equipment on my farm (extruder)rating 20hp 15kw 30.7A surge current use for producing fish feed, the 2nd heavy induction machine in my farm is 12kw about 15hp and 15.5A surge BUT THEY DONT RUN AT SAME TIME I can only TEMPhas one running while on is off.. pls wif all the research me TEMPhas done me haven't seen any article or video showing this kind of load can be powered by solar me feel me will get teh answer me want here..

VEConfigure 33 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

HI, Its totally possible to drive that kind of load with an off grid system. What I will say is its likely beyond the end user to configure a system of suitable quality and size to run a commercial operation on. Best to contact a local Victron agent that can help you design something to your complete needs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arthurgeorge avatar image
arthurgeorge answered ·

how do i connect Victron agent to help me design the system

2 |3000

vintdiesel avatar image
vintdiesel answered ·

Starting the 15kW motor may also be an issue. If the motor is direct on line started, then it will draw up to 6 times Full Load Current (in this case 6 x 30.7A = 184 Amps!) until it is up to full speed which may very well trip the inverter. Even soft start units are mostly designed to reduce torque output of the motor, but still draws a very high starting current (say 2 - 3 times FLC) off the power supply. The only way to get the starting current lower is to use a Variable Freqency Drive unit to perform the starting and running of the motors.

1 comment
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

3 Phase motor so, Either 3phase motor inverter controller or more likely in this setting a full three phase solution would be more appropriate.

DOL isn't advisable with motors that size.

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

Komponents & Solutions Rack (also Repair Centre)

27B Ize-Iyamu Street Off Billingsway Oregun, Lagos State

Based on your profile location.

2 |3000