question

Ingo avatar image
Ingo asked

ACOut2 Relay Status on VRM Portal (Workaround) - Updated

Edit: I changed the Digital Input Type from Door Sensor to Burglar Alarm. Some inputs send updates to VRM Portal on every poll and some send it on an event. With the Burglar Alarm type I can see the exact times my inverter switches ACOut2. Everything else in this guideline stays exactly the same. Note, the images have not been updated and still show the Door Sensor input type - used for reference only.

While I am also waiting on Victron to find time to add the ACOut2 Relay Status to VRM portal and the Modbus Registers I thought I'd use a workaround to get what I need.

The following is a workaround to get a Quattro ACOut2 Relay status on VRM portal and also to check it via Modbus/TCP. Below is what it will look like.

What you need:

1. GX device with Digital Inputs. Refer to the following link to compare different models.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start#comparison_table

2. Two to Six core Mains rated data cable depending on how many inputs you want to use, that you can legally use inside a distribution cabinet. I used some spare CBus Pink data cable that has an isolation voltage of 4KV. It has 4 cores but only used two for Digital Input 1 and Ground.

3. A suitable connector, to plug into your GX device's Digital Input port. I'm using a Venus GX and it requires a RJ12 connector. Refer to your GX device manual to see what is required.

4. A Mains rated DIN relay like a Hager EN146 Humfree relay.

https://hager.com/uk/products/h/en146-interface-relay-lv-vlv

Venus GX Setup

1. In your GX setup, go to Menu -> Settings -> I/O -> Digital Inputs and Enable Digital Input 1 and select Burglar Alarm.

2. Go back to the the Main Menu and you should see the Digital Input now visible on the GX screen. Go into the Digital Input 1 menu and select Setup. Make sure you Disable the Alarm notification and select Invert otherwise the state will show Alarm when in fact it's disconnected or unplugged.

3. Go one step back in the Menu and select Device. In this menu you can rename the input to EG. 'ACOut2 Relay'.

VRM Setup

At this point the new Digital Input should be visible on VRM Portal under Devices.

To setup VRM Portal to show the status you need to go to Advanced and then select the Widgets icon in the top right hand corner. Scroll down to the new Digital Input and select the two options as per below.

You now have VRM Portal reporting on the Digital Input 1 you enabled.

Wiring Setup

1. To wire everything together you need to install the Relay coil between ACOut2 and Neutral after your ACOut2 breaker. The relay will engage when ACOut2 is active and disconnect when you are in EG. Inverting Mode or any other mode that disconnects your main ACOut2 Relay.

2. Wire the NO/COM contacts of the new relay back to the GX device's Digital Input 1 using the mains rated data cable and you are ready to roll.

Final thoughts

I know this method is a workaround but at least you can monitor the state of the relay via VRM Portal as well as Modbus/TCP. In my particular case I wanted to know when it engages or not as I suspect a controller failure on my Quattro is not handling ACOut2 Relay as it should (fix in progress...)

To check the status of the relay using Modbus/TCP just connect to the GX IP address and use the Digital Input 1 ID and Register to read the Holding Register value. It should be either 6 or 7 as per the documentation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/whitepapers#

Disclaimer

I am not an electrician and any work done from the above suggestion is at your own risk and I am not responsible for any damage it might cause. If you feel you need verification or assistance with the above then please contact your Victron installer/reseller/distributor or electrician.

VRMRelay
1603782241563.png (3.1 KiB)
1603782372186.png (4.6 KiB)
1603783879688.png (14.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jorisvn avatar image
jorisvn answered ·

dear Ingo, I want the same. (see the status of the relay for AC output 2) However I have a CCGX without digital input. Do you know if there are workarounds for that?

Or is Victron following this community and considering adding it as a widget in the VRM?

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

Hi @jorisvn, unfortunately a Digital Input is a key component for this to work.

There is no way to know if Victron will ever add this feature to VRM natively. From what I've read in all the other posts there has to be lots and lots of customers who want this feature and, via their local country manager, feed that back to the developers for anything to even be considered.

0 Likes 0 ·
jorisvn avatar image
jorisvn answered ·

Hi @Ingo, that is the same experience I had so far. They are strong with their distributors and installers, but not very end customer friendly. The tone of voice I got from a Dutch Victron sales rep was quite rude while I explained an other challenge I wanted to solve. (different parameters to turn off and on the output 2 relay iso SOC)

I assume they could gain so much more in that online environment, if they develop a bit more with the end users in mind too!

1 comment
2 |3000

Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

@jorisvn I can only smile but will refrain from commenting.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic