question

balachai avatar image
balachai asked

Pushing the limits of 24V? Pylontech & Multiplus offgrid

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPylontechoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
balachai avatar image
balachai answered ·

Bumping this topic up again. Any thoughts, no matter how vague? :-)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@balachai Without stating anything about your demands/peak consumption the only response I have that the manufacturers recommendations are basicically the minimum you should consider. The system will cope, but at 4kW loads may not provide power for very long. I'd imagine you won't run it at full power all the time. For an off-grid application and large inverter your batteries are very conservatively sized. Expect a shorter life expectancy for the battery if they are going to work hard and near their max ratings all the time. Start by properly understanding your exact requirement first and then you may find even a smaller inverter will serve you well. Larger inverters consume more power too so .. a lot to think about.

2 |3000

balachai avatar image
balachai answered ·

Hi @ejrossouw - thanks for that! The system would see loads of 4 kW occasionally, only for around 30 minutes and often during the day when some power would come from solar rather than all of it out of the battery. Even less frequent would be loads up to 5 kW for 30 minutes. Even though these loads are infrequent, I do want to supply them so I figured a 3 kW inverter would be too small. Zero-load power is 30W for the 24/5000 compared to 20W for the 24/3000. That's OK. I'm happy that you think the batteries are conservatively sized.

2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

The inverter is only 4kW (5kVA) so your inverter will come up well short trying to run 5kW off it for 30min ;) Also at that level it will warm up and derate so you may have to consider a parallel solution. Maybe time to speak to your Victron dealer to help you with the correct solution and make sure your exact requirements are well defined.

0 Likes 0 ·
balachai avatar image balachai ejrossouw commented ·

Good point on the kVA, thanks! I can restrict AC loads out of the inverter to 4 kW, considering that some appliances are DC. Yes I'll speak to the Victron dealer too.

0 Likes 0 ·