question

tosteitor avatar image
tosteitor asked

Best setting for lead battery (Varta car battery) and MPPT 100/30

Hi

While saving for a good agm battery, I am testing with a Varta car battery, but I am not sure which setting to choose to charge it via the 8 position rotary switch.

At the moment I am in position 2, default setting, but every day in less than an hour it is fully charged, I am using a 375w panel.

Best regards

lead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

Most car batteries are flooded type - clasically 14.7V absorption - so position three perhaps?

To guess charge time you'd need to tell us your estimated depth of discharge.

A funny thing about charge time with victron's adaptive algorithm is that if the start voltage is above 12.2V you only get one third of the absorption time (default 3 hours) = 1 hour. If a cloud comes past and you go back to bulk prematurely (but stay above 12.6V) you may only get one sixth = 30 minutes before it hits float. Settings you'll only see with a VictronConnect login.

I've never noticed the batteries taking damage from routine slight undercharging, presumably overcharging is more dangerous?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tosteitor avatar image
tosteitor answered ·

Thanks Jesse
Really I don´t know yet estimated deptht discharge, I use it as backup for my radios.

I try not to lower 12v.

In the 8 positions chart it doesn´t tell nothing about flooded acid battery.

For now I will continue leaving it in position 2

2 |3000

nico934 avatar image
nico934 answered ·

Hi,

I have the same problem than @tosteitor, what is the "position 2" and "position 3" ?

it's preset GEL Victron battery 1 and 2 ?

Thanks,

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic