question

stevecounsell avatar image
stevecounsell asked

Will Buck-Boost charger work with Lead Acid L36EFB batteries

I have a motorhome set up with 3 X Yuasa L36EFB Lead acid Batteries. The ideal charge rate for these is 14.4 volts and a max input of 10amps.

I’m starting to “design” a off grid system, using Victron products throughout and eventually want to switch to Lithium batteries.

thanks for any help :)

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartlead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I presume from your other question that these three batteries willbe configured in parallel for 12V?
If so, then yes, the Buck-Boost will charge a 12V battery bank. However, please bear in mind that this is not an automatic three stage battery charger. This is to say it will charge up the battery bank to the Voltage that you program it to and there it will stay, it will not switch to a lower float Voltage automatically. It is best to set it to the lower float Voltage if you don't want to risk overcharging your battery bank. It will still be able to keep the bank "topped-up". Allow the solar MPPT 100/30 to perform the proper three stage charge.
The MPPT and the Buck-Boost will work together.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stevecounsell avatar image stevecounsell commented ·

Ah, i see, thanks.... My 3 batteries are indeed in parallel so remain 12 volt. I was really hoping that it would charge in boost and then float. Do you know if there is a Victron dc - dc charger that would do that?

I’ve also been looking at the C-TEK-250SA which seems to do the job i need.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic