question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Driver for MK3-USB for windows XP

Is the MK3-USB interface compatible with Windows XP?

VEConfigure 3 installed ok, but driver for MK3-USB did not load and MK3 interface does not work.

When I used VEConfigure 3 to get the drivers, the only drivers loaded were MK2USB and USB to serial. There is no MK3USB driver.

Trying to load drivers in Windows XP result in error 39 (driver missing) and driver is not loading.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

I got mine working on an old XP notebook. Took a bit of messing around as the notebook was so old it would get blocked from internet searches. I had to download files on my Mac and then transfer to the notebook via SD card. For the driver I downloaded a file called - CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified - from the Internet and this got everything working. This was so I could setup a parallel system.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

the-doon avatar image the-doon commented ·

Go to https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and scroll down the page to “No Longer Supported:” and you will see version 2.08.24 for Windows XP.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp the-doon commented ·

Thank you, it worked.

But it was only beginning of the problems with setting up this system.

Why when client buys 3 units for the 3 phase system, and the seller knows it, client gets units with different firmware in them? :(

0 Likes 0 ·

Probably pretty common I’d think as they update firmware pretty regularly. Did you get the firmware updated? I use the MK3 interface with my Mac and the VictronConnect app. Make sure you disconnect the UTP cable linking the 3 Multis so they are seen as seperate units and update them one at a time by plugging the MK3 into each unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

This is how I plan to do it even thou I think turning on only one unit should be sufficient.

Still do not know why my EasySolar-II is recognized by VictronConnect as MultiPlus-II.

As for firmware in units sold for 3-phase or parallel systems, the distributor should take care of them having the same one loaded.

2 comments
2 |3000

Mine came up as Multi as well. Essentially it’s a multi just packaged in a bigger box to fit the MPPT and GX device.

I sort of see your point on the firmware but seriously it’s a 2 minute job to update and you’ll be programming them for parallel anyway. The 2 minutes that’s it takes you would probably turn into an hour job per unit for the distributor by the time they unpack, setup, update and repack.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp the-doon commented ·

Success.

Inverters are now with the latest firmware and set up in 3-phase configuration.

It is a bit confusing the way each inverter setup is done after they are in 3-phase configuration.

The VEConfigure cannot be used directly on it.

You have to first start VE Bus System Configurator and from inside start VEConfig for each inverter.

Once you understand that it is easy.

Also VictronConnect is now showing EasySolar-II on the list, but only through VRM after connecting it to network.

As for taking to much time for the distributor to "equalize" the firmware, I think he should do it because if the firmware is not the same, those units are not capable of running 3-phase system.

Once you know how to do it it takes couple minutes, but to obtain this knowlege you have to spend hours to learn how the Victron system works.

I am not saying that that knowledge is not needed for someone brave enough to install Victron 3-phase system, but it would be nice if in the beginning of this installation everything went easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
saltwatersolar avatar image
saltwatersolar answered ·

So true!! I am so over updating firmware. Victron loves changing their firmware daily it seems. Is this what happens when you get too many programmers in your team with nothing else to do? Maybe spend some time improving the terminal blocks on the smartsolars instead?

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Depending on your system you don't need to install every FW update.

The most changes/improvements are only useful/needed in ESS.

And even in an ESS you don't need every update unless you have problems or you need the new features.

"Never change a running system"

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources