question

Stephen Phillips avatar image
Stephen Phillips asked

VE.Bus BMS and VE.Bus Smart dongle - Can they work together ?

Replace the Digital Control Panel with a VE.Bus Smart dongle.

Figure 1 of the Victron PDF . System Layout below

https://www.victronenergy.com.au/upload/documents/Datasheet-VE-Bus-BMS-EN.pdf

Will this work ?

Any help would be great.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Stephen Phillips,

Some features of the VE.Bus Smart Dongle work in this configuration, but others do not.

When the VE.Bus BMS is connected, you cannot control the current limit, or On/Off/Charger control via the VE.Bus Smart Dongle in VictronConnect.

More info here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

With the latest update of the smart dongle firmware and victron connect app, it is actually possible to control the AC input current limit. Yet it is still not possible to turn off and on the multiplus inverter.

Please Victron guys, add this option, will make us all without space for digital control panel very happy…

thanks,

Martin

2 |3000

Kienan avatar image
Kienan answered ·

I think the last question that I haven't found is if the smart dongle is supposed to be plugged into the BMS or if it should be plugged into the inverter in this scenario. From everything I've read, it seems that the Smart Dongle should be plugged directly into the inverter rather than the way you have it drawn.

Of course, with the V2 BMS, all of the features work well and the documentation is better, but for someone who already has the V1....

The V2 is definitely better...

2 |3000

enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

I have replaced the VE.Bus BMS v1 with v2, have the BMS plugged into Multiplus with one cable, and smart dongle into BMS with another cable and everything works as expected.

2 |3000

dapple avatar image
dapple answered ·

I was wondering if there has been any updates to the firmware on the smart dongle. I have a V1 BMS, is it possible to temperature control the chargers on/off while using the dongle? Also, My Charger is not Victron.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic