question

brad-mulholland avatar image
brad-mulholland asked

multiplus 12/2000/80 ac power dropouts

I have a MultiPlus 12/2000/80 with VE bus multi control which indiscriminately drops out the AC shore power. Output at the power bollard appears to be normal and nearby boats have no problems. Obviously when it decides to return the power it goes through a new charge cycle. How can I stop these dropouts.

Thanks

Brad

lead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Brad Mulholland, welcome to the Community!

This type of behavior is usually caused by a bad shore power connection, whether through dodgy wiring between the MultiPlus and the shore power connection, or outside on the vessel from the pedestal. The MultiPlus will reject shore power under ~96v (assuming you're speaking of a 120v model), so there's a good chance you've got a bad connection/bad wiring somewhere, though whether it's inside the vessel or outside at the dock is a matter of some careful inspection of the installation and a lot of measurements with a multimeter to find the source.

If you go through with a multimeter and the meter reports normal voltages everywhere, then reach out to the authorized Victron distributor from whom you purchased the unit and they will have some more in-depth troubleshooting tips for you and, if they're unable to resolve the issue, will be able to file a repair request for your unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brad-mulholland avatar image
brad-mulholland answered ·

Hi Justin, thanks for your answer, I have an idea the problem may be at the supply bollard on the marina berth. Although it show's 245 volts and 50.1 HZ [I'm in Australia] I suspect at times there may be fluctuation of which I have no control over and the marina doesn't care to much about it's tenants problems unfortunately. I have had a marine electrician check out the boat and it's connection points and everything checks out ok.

He suggest's there could be something in the settings of the Victron which maybe disabled.

I am waiting for Monday to speak with a Victron tech to see what they have to offer.

Cheers

Brad

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic