question

stevemc avatar image
stevemc asked

Smart BMS CL 12 volt 100amp, shutting down

The installation is on a boat located in the Central Coast of NSW, Australia. The customer purchased 3 x lithium 12 volt, 100ah batteries, smart BMS, BMV712, smart battery protect. An existing start battery was in existence. The Victron gear is for onboard services, radio, cooker, lighting etc

There is a separate isolation switches for both starter battery and lithium batteries. When I disconnect the lithium batteries the system shuts down. All good.

When I disconnect the starter battery alone the system shuts down also even though the lithium batteries are connected and on. Is this normal behaviour?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Yes that is normal because the BMS takes it's operation power from the starter battery. So if you disconnect the starter battery the BMS has no power to work.

In my opinion this is a design flaw and the BMS should be powered from the lithium battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.