question

dayandnight avatar image
dayandnight asked

How to connect a Pylontech HUB?

Hello Victronauts!

the question is, how to connect a Pylontech HUB to Pylontech US2000B on one end and with the other end to a Multiplus-II? The problem is, that there is no documentation on the Pylontech website available which fits to the delivered LV-HUB and all suspects I know, doesn't have an idea.

Here is a screenshot of Pylontech PDF

there is mentioned that maximum 5 battery strings are possible, but my hub looks like this ...

... my hub has eight CAN-Bus connectors. I don't have any idea how a CAN-Bus cable looks like? Is just a normal network cable? I am willing to try, but without any input it is hard to start.

Hopefully there is somebody out there, who can set me on to the right trail! ;-) Thanks!

DayAndNight

Pylontechpylontech lv hub
lv-hub.jpg (93.7 KiB)
lv-hub.jpg (93.7 KiB)
lv-hub-2.jpg (26.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dayandnight avatar image
dayandnight answered ·

Hello!

I wanted to show how the cabling of a Pylontech HUB works for me in the end.

hub-wiring-01-lowres.jpg

It is still working perfect, since 2020!

Perhaps the photo will help somebody else!

Regards DayAndNight!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus answered ·

Hi @DayAndNight

I think this document will help you with regards to the CAN bus, you can make it yourself, it uses an RJ 45 connector but the pinout is different.

ve.can_to_can-bus_bms_cables_manual.pdf

Very impressive setup though!

3 comments
2 |3000

dayandnight avatar image dayandnight commented ·

Hello @EwaldErasmus,

thank you for your help. The cable described in this PDF is the cable which is needed to connect a Pylontech stack (Master batterie) to a Multiplus-II. I think, but still I guess this same cable will be used to connect the HUB to the Multiplus-II as well. So hopefully this cable should be no problem. I have it already. But what about the CAN-BUS cable I need to connect from the hub to the Master battery of each Pylon batterie stack? That's what cause me a head ache!

Thank you for your support.

DanAndNight

0 Likes 0 ·
jfleissner avatar image jfleissner dayandnight commented ·

Hi!

As cable from Hub to Battery-Battery-Battery... you can use standard UTP (unshielded twisted pair) ethernet cable.

Johannes

0 Likes 0 ·
dayandnight avatar image dayandnight jfleissner commented ·

Hello @jfleissner, hello Johannes,

thank you. I will try.

DayAndNight

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

In regards to powering the LV Hub....have you supplied power directly from the batteries, or used a separate 48v power supply? thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

dayandnight avatar image dayandnight commented ·

Hello @cristimv,

I used the pylontech batteries. My idea was in case of a power failure I still need the hub that the batteries stay online.

But I had to change my bus bars, because when designing the system I didn't realize that I may have in the future a need to connect a thin wire. I connected a wire from each bus bar ( + / - ) to a small seperate housing where I mounted a fuse holder and after the fuseholder I connected the pylontech hub.

DayAndNight

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image CristiMV dayandnight commented ·

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic