question

mark-allen avatar image
mark-allen asked

Do I need a fuse and or circuit breaker?

Hi,

I’m new to solar and have a question on to fuse or not.

I have a fish pond that I would like to run the equipment on solar.
I purchased a Victron BlueSolar 115W panel, SmartSolar 75/15 controller, and 130Ah LFP.

Please excuse my ignorance, should I be using a fuse or circuit breaker in any part of the installation, also can I store the battery and charge controller in a partially buried (adjacent to small fish pond) watertight container or is ample air circulation required?

Thanks.

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Batteryfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

air flow cooling is required for the 75/15 or some other form of heat transfer from the sealed box to the outside area

yes a fuse or circuit breaker (not both)should always be used, its your choice as to which one.

there should be a 15amp Breaker or fuse between the MPPT unit and the battery and also one between the battery and the pump.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mark-allen avatar image mark-allen commented ·

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the help.

0 Likes 0 ·
orangecowboy avatar image orangecowboy commented ·

can u suggest a fuse holder or or a circuit breaker between the battery and charge controller? Looking on amazon I only see higher amp options.

and what size wire is used from the fuse into the charge controller?

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator