question

jason1234 avatar image
jason1234 asked

Grounding of Pheonix SMART 12/1600 in Caravan

Pheonix SMART 12/1600 in Caravan - This will be an isolated setup, completely free from the caravans 230v mains circuits.

I had an electrician over to discuss the set-up and installation of a Pheonix SMART 12/1600 inverter into my caravan. He was not sold on the manual stating that the device chassis needs to be grounded in caravan situations. Short of driving earth rod into camp site, earthing to caravan chassis would cause any fault to run through earth and make the whole caravan live. Short of just running class 2 devices through it, what have others done in terms of setup in caravans with RCD/RVD cover in the event there is no reliable earth option? I kind of don't want to make my whole caravan live in event of failure.

Steering towards these;

https://www.rvdsafe.com.au/product/rvdsafe-ei/

Cheers in advance.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Your link doesn't work.

Without the earth connection to the chassis the RCD can't work properly.
With the connection a fault will not make the whole caravan live, it will either make the RCD trip or the Phoenix will shut down due to overload(short circuit).
Without the connection a fault can make the whole caravan live, because the RCD maybe won't trip or the Phoenix won't shut down.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.