question

ecoworld avatar image
ecoworld asked

How can I connect a (Venus) GX unit to a wifi network that doesn’t have a password?

The customer is remote from me and I’ve previously configured the Venus GX with all the correct system control settings. It’s also already registered on VRM as an installation along with its other associated Victron devices. The main problem I have is that the system will be installed in a spot that can’t have an Ethernet cable easily connected so wifi is the only option, however the customer is so remote that he refuses (and doesn’t know how to) add a wifi password to his open wifi network. Because nothing is entered into the wifi password field on the GX (when he has it powered up in his office running off a car batter) when we reboot it it won’t connect to the unpassworded wifi network. When he has the Ethernet cable plugged in and I go to via VRM to settings->wifi I can see the wifi network but if I select manual option there’s nowhere to enter the IP numbers as they remain locked, possibly because the Ethernet cable is still attached, it’s a viscous circle. Is there some way to automatically join a wifi network that doesn’t have a password? What am I missing?

Venus GX - VGXwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @EcoWorld

I'm rusty on this stuff, so bear with me..

The 'password' you lack will likely be the WPA-PSK (pre-shared key), an encryption key, and without it entered in the Venus the wifi can't decipher the data and won't work. If it's never been written down it'll be available by accessing the wifi gateway. You *must* have this - no shortcut-button-presses in the Venus.

You can enter the PSK (password) in the Venus over ethernet, and it should automatically pick up it's DHCP address. It may not show the gateway address straight away, as both ethernet and wifi won't work together, the ethernet having priority. It will show signal strength though, and if the cable is pulled, you should be on wifi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic