question

Chris avatar image

Flicker and wild voltage and frequency variation of Quattro output when operating with generator

Hi

We are experiencing this same issue on multiple sites. Both with AC connected PV and sites with charge controllers.

Quattro 5kw off grid system. 50hz 230v

When the backup generator is operating, the output from the Quattro varies wildly and also it appears so does the load placed on the generator - to charge the batteries (from the VRM portal data)

This is backed up up by the display on the generator (Hyundai DHY6000) which shows frequency.

Frequency output from the quattro is so unstable it cases the Fronius PVinverter to cut out and also the machine machine on site to go into fault. Also voltage is all over the place, and al lthis causes lighting flicker too.

UPS function setting is off

I have tried lowering the shore power setting.

I have tried lowering the output voltage slightly on the Quattro. (output on the genny when unloaded is 230v)

Dynamic current limiter on or off makes no difference.

Accept wide frequency range is on.

I am assuming that the quattros inverter attempts to track the AC input frequency and doesnt do a great job of it.

If powerassist was disabled - would this prevent the inverter output from trying to track whats happening with the AC input ?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGeneratoroffgridfrequency
1 comment
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

How much PV power do you have? It is on AC-OUT of Quattro?
If it PV is on Quattro output, how is it working without generator?

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image

These are some ideas and I am no expert in this area AT ALL

Once the generator is running and the inverter is in bypass mode then its got nothing to do with frequency control, this is all done by the generator or the Grid Tie inverter (depending on settings)

have you got export power turned on as the generator would not like this ay all, so disable this in the inverter.

as you are running a grid Tie inverter then the battery bank SIZE must be equal to or greater then the PV panel array and frequency control would need to be configured so that the PV inverter can be told to turnoff when the loads and charging are less than whats needed. this I believe is all controlled in the ESS assistance's thats usually setup in the Quattro by the installer

does it all work well if all the solar is turned off ie at night

you can also run through all the suggested steps in the MultiPlus generator FAQ.

10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.