question

christianm avatar image
christianm asked

Why my solar controller enters in float mode while batteries are at 40%. Controller MPPT 150/70 ; BMV-712 VE.Bus.Smart 12v/3000/120Amp; 4 100Amp battle born batteries.

MPPT Controllersfloat
img-4843.png (302.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spirou avatar image spirou commented ·

Perhaps you now realize how useless the %SOC display is. It calculates % based on certain assumptions and if those are set wrong it will gradually go way off. Also true to some degree with consumed Ah display which depends on charge efficiency setting. I'm almost certain you're not at -240Ah at 14.6V which would probably be the max voltage of your battery.

Just reset you SOC then look into your charge settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Bruce Orr avatar image
Bruce Orr answered ·

I Had the same experience today - batteries charged at 88% but Victron is in float. I switched the solar disconnect off and back on. Victron went straight to bulk as a result and started charging the batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mikerophone avatar image
mikerophone answered ·

I am also having the same problem, with a very similar system, same MPPT, BMV-712 but only 3) 100ah Battleborns and my system goes into float early in the day and stays in float for half the day while I’m at work.

I just installed the CCGX today so I’ll be able to see a more accurate picture of what’s happening with the graphs and data on the VRM Portal and will be setting up ESS vs Dedicated AC Ignore but I think the problem is related to inaccurate SOC calculations but turning the solar breaker on and off puts the system back into bulk but I can’t do that when I’m at work during the day.

2 |3000

mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·

Please show us some screen shots of your controllers setup screens.

2 |3000

beauguidry avatar image
beauguidry answered ·

I have had the same issue. For some reason, my controller left the network from the BMV/CCGX. It was reading a a battery voltage 0.25V higher than the BMV was, and therefore entering float too early. When I had it rejoin the network, it worked as it should.

Why is was reading a higher battery voltage, I have no idea.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic