question

jesailor avatar image
jesailor asked

Bluetooth Pairing with new iPhone

‘ I have a MPPT 75/15 (HQ1811NTQ3F”) connected to a single battery and a single solar panel. With my iPhone 6 I could connect via Bluetooth using the VictronConnect app. With my new iPhone 11 I cannot pair with the controller. The app recognizes my controller and requires that I “enter the code shown on my “SmartComtroller HQ1811NTQ3F”. I cannot find any code either in the front panel of the controller or in a window on the phone. I have entered my 6-digit pin but it was not accepted. I have removed and re-downloaded the app with no effect. The blue led on the controller is flashing, showing a bulk operation.

Bluetooth
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike avatar image mike commented ·

The bluetooth pin by default = 000000 unless it has bin changed by yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·
buzz654t avatar image buzz654t mike commented ·

I’m getting the same screen. It’s not the 6 digit code. I believe it’s my new Apple iPhone max pro with Bluetooth issues. My SmartBMV and both controllers cannot pair with new phone.

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Jesailor, the code you're looking for is most likely the "PUK" code, which is an alphanumeric sequence printed in very small print on the label bearing the serial number. This will be found, on your unit, on the bottom of the device. You will see a label that lists the PN, the SN, and, in much smaller print, a "PUK Code" or sometimes just "PUK:"

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dmilleac avatar image dmilleac commented ·

I had never reset the pin for my Bmv712 but on my new iPhone 13pro it requested the PUK. And once I found the number on the back of the display and entered it I was fine. I have 2 devices solar and 120v input that requested codes but I just left them blank and they connected but the BMV 712 insisted on the PUK code.

0 Likes 0 ·
jesailor avatar image
jesailor answered ·

I updated the iPhone OS to 13.6.1. I deleted and downloaded the app, v5.30.because the app allows only numeric entry, I had to cut and paste the PUK. I. tried both “0” and “O” where it occurred. Because the app did correctly identify the MPPT that I have, I assume that it found it using Bluetooth. However, the iPhone does not list the MPPT as a Bluetooth device, probably because it has not been paired?

Any other suggestions?

5 comments
2 |3000

jesailor avatar image jesailor commented ·

I was not complete in my description. After entering the PUK, the app tried to pair with the MPPT, but was not successful.

0 Likes 0 ·

The phone indeed does not show the MPPT because it is not yet paired and the MPPT uses Bluetooth Low Energy, instead of Bluetooth BR/EDR which is used for headsets and such.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

@Jesailor, the only place in the app that does not permit alphanumeric entry is the PIN code dialogue... the PUK dialogue does accept alphanumeric entry, but these are two different dialogue boxes.

Please see the "Pairing and Connecting" section of the VictronConnect user manual for more information about how to reset the PIN code.

0 Likes 0 ·
buzz654t avatar image buzz654t commented ·

I’m having the same issue. New iPhone 12 Max Pro using now iOS 14.3. Still won’t pair.

0 Likes 0 ·
francis avatar image francis commented ·

Hi Jesailor, You describe my same difficulty. Did you ever get a solution to link your iPhone 11 to the Solar Controller?

0 Likes 0 ·
jesailor avatar image
jesailor answered ·

I was not clear in my response above. After entering the PUK, the app tried to pair with the MPPT, but was not successful,

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

You could try to power cycle the MPPT. Disconnect the PV, then battery, wait half a minute, then reconnect battery and PV. Then reset the pin again (using the PUK code) and then try to connect (and thus bond), using the default pincode of 000000.

Regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

jesailor avatar image
jesailor answered ·

After using the PUK code to reset the PIN to 000000 (it was never changed) I was able to connect with Bluetooth. The app worked for several days, then I started getting the attached popup immediately after selecting my device. I have reloaded the app and disconnected the MPPT from the battery and then reconnected. There has never been any other phone connected to this controller. I can see no way to reset the device or a Bluetooth connection.

2 |3000

jesailor avatar image
jesailor answered ·

It has been over one month since I first reported this new problem (above) and I still cannot connect to my MPPT with either my iPhone or iPad, the only two devices that have previously connected to the MPPT. Below is the immediate response when I select my device. Selecting “OK” only returns the same message. As noted above, I have reloaded the App, disconnected and reconnected the MPPT to the battery,and told the phone’s bluetooth to forget the MPPT, then re-find the MPPT. I have only a single MPPT, a single solar panel, and a single battery. There are no other boats with a solar panel or an MPPT within Bluetooth range, so no one else has reason to connect using Bluetooth.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hello,

Did you disconnect both the PV and the battery? The MPPT must be completely disconnected for 30 seconds before connecting the battery and PV.

Regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
ian-k avatar image
ian-k answered ·

I am having the same issue iPhone 14 can not pair. Very frustrating

2 |3000

hervea avatar image
hervea answered ·

I am having the same issue iPhone 15. Previously, this dongle was functioning correctly. However, after upgrading to the latest iPhone 15, it can not pair.

2 comments
2 |3000

wayne-collett avatar image wayne-collett commented ·
I have the same problem.

How can we communicate this problem to Victron?

0 Likes 0 ·
robroy68 avatar image robroy68 wayne-collett commented ·

I have the same problem also. Will not pair with new i phone

0 Likes 0 ·