question

hansv avatar image
hansv asked

No Bluetooth connection BlueSolar 150-35 MPPT during nighttime

We cannot connect to our BlueSolar MPPT 150-35 chargecontroller via Bluetooth on our iOS device during night hours. When there is no voltage on the solar panel side of the controller it can no longer be seen in the VictronConnect app. Controller and Bluetooth dongle are on the newest firmware. During daylight everything works as expected.

Is the BlueSolar MPPT 150-35 model dependent on solar voltage on the inputs for the Bluetooth (dongle) operation?

I read that other Victron controllers are powered from the batteries for Bluetooth operation during nighttime. So is this a model specific limitation?

MPPT ControllersBluetoothios
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello,

There are two versions of the MPPT 150/35, rev1 and rev2. Rev1 is only powered from PV panels and not from the battery.

If during the night none of the MPPT LED's are lit, means that you have the Rev1 model.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hansv avatar image hansv commented ·

Thanks for your clarification. Is it possible to upgrade our unit (which is most likely a rev1 model) to a revision 2 model?

Now we can't switch off our 150/35 at night before leaving the boat. Topping up our planned LiFePO4 battery system every day is not recommended, the batteries should be left alone when not on board for some time.

0 Likes 0 ·
sanantkev avatar image sanantkev commented ·
Is there an upgrade from Rev 1 to Rev 2 ? Have a VE. Direct that doesn't work at night.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No, it is supposed to work at night, power should be coming from the battery.
Are there any LED's on the MPPT blinking at night?

2 comments
2 |3000

friaras avatar image friaras commented ·

Was this cleared up? I also have the Victron 150/35 charge controller, with the BT adapter I've had it for a least 4-5 years now, and there are no LEDs on at night time and when the Sun goes down the tablet disconnects from it.

1 Like 1 ·
hansv avatar image hansv commented ·

Thanks for your response. I’ll check the LEDs when we’re at the boat again. We thought it was a limitation of the MPPT controllers, but recently discovered that most (any?) Victron units use battery power for the Bluetooth connection when there is no solar voltage.

Which makes sense to us but doesn’t work with our 150-35 at the moment. We’ll check on the LEDs at nighttime when we’re onboard again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic