question

jd2020 avatar image
jd2020 asked

Can I run a MPPT solar controller and DC-DC charger side by side?

Hi! I have bought a second hand caravan that is fitted with 2 delco 110ah batteries, 4 x 150w panels and a Victron 50A MPPT solar controller. The previous owner had another delco battery in his vehicle and a projector DC-DC 20A charger in his vehicle to charge the van batteries while under tow.

I have bought a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12 | 12 - 30 isolated DC-DC charger and planned to install it in the van.

Question, can a Victron solar controller and Victron DC-DC charger be installed side by side? Will they play nicely together? I have bought the DC-DC charger based on what the previous owner recommended and I went with Victron due to quality and the fact I can run the same app on my phone to talk to both the DC-DC charger and solar controller.

Many Thanks!!

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolarsmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Yes they can work side by side no problem.

Unfortunately the Orion Smart can't communicate in a VRM network yet, but let's hope that functionality is coming in future.

Just be sure that your battery charge profiles is the same on both the MPPT and Orion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources