question

Carsten Günther avatar image
Carsten Günther asked

Troubleshoot Quattro: Not starting charging - going into fault

Setup is a Mercedes Atego Camper. Batteries are two Varta Professional 180Ah Lead-Acid Deep-Cycle Batteries in series. Charging takes place while driving through the Alternator, during storage through the Victron.

Main Unit is a Quattro 24/3000, Firmware 475, together with CCGX, BMV702S and a Victron Balancer.

Some weeks ago i run into the problem, that the Quattro is going directly into fault mode when trying to start the charging.

The behaviour is shown here:

Checking the manuals, the unit is obviously trying to sync with the mains on AC-IN2, but denying to start charging, Batteries are measured with 24.4/24.3V.
I found some strong recommendations to check the wiring first and i found some more or less corroded connections between the batteries. I renewed/checked all the connections and its good as far as i can see.

I found the interesting fact, that the unit starts charging, when i charge the batteries externally first - the the quattro jumps on the freshly loaded batteries and stays on charging (for weeks/month as logged in the VRM-portal.

But - when the AC-In is disconnected, the Quattro shows the faulty behaviour again - what is shurely not accepteable during storage.

so, my questions are: What might be cuase for this? I think it cannot be, that the quattro is denying to charge a battery with 24V but accepts a battery with 26V? Might it be that i have setup the quattro during the Firmware-Update to the wrong battery-type? Ive set it to (out of my mind), type two whats in the manual. As it is a "normal" lead-acid battery - what would be the correct battery-type to set? Might this be the cause for the quattro for going into fault-mode when trying to start charging?

Additionally - it might be heard in the video - there is some "hissing"-noise coming from the unit when run into normal/inverter-mode.

Ah, and by the way - as i do not remeber the correct behaviour: When switched into normal mode with AC-IN2 connected - is it correct that the "inverter"-LED comes on? Should'nt it come on _without_ AC-IN connected? Ive measured 225.2V AC on AC-IN2 - should'nt this be routed to the AC-OUT without inverter coming on/Inverter-LED on?

Thanks for any any hint or help!

best regards
Carsten

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
njms17000 avatar image
njms17000 answered ·

hello, could you to solve problem, I have a similar behavior with my Victron quattro 5000

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.