question

bw32056 avatar image
bw32056 asked

E-B32:Battery BMS Cable not connected or defect

Hi there I need some help on a campervan install with the following error "E-B32:Battery BMS Cable not connected or defect".

I have installed a LiFePo4 200AmpH battery

SMART BMS CL 12-100

Pheonix 12/2000V Inverter

BMV - 712 Monitor

Smart Solar MMPT 100/30

Orion-TR Smart 12/12-30A (360W) DC-DC charger

The error showed up 2 days ago, and went away after a day of sun. Has been installed for 6 weeks. We introduced a fridge using 2.8 AmpH a few days ago. Th wiring on the BMS is intact and hasn't changed.
This morning it re-appeared and we have just started to use 240V appliances appliances through he inverter. We now get a low battery alarm at 11.19V, yet BMV says battery is 100%, it was at 13.9V 97% yesterday afternoon. Below is the wiring diagram and BMV etc screenshots

error
bms.jpg (33.6 KiB)
wiring.png (133.6 KiB)
bmv-712.jpg (32.3 KiB)
mppt.png (248.0 KiB)
pheonix-inverter.png (258.9 KiB)
bms-error.jpg (38.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1. You need to charge the battery as soon as possible!

2. With the Smart BMS CL 12/100 you don't need the Orion between the starter battery and the BMS. The BMS can limit the charge current.

3. The BMV shunt isn't wired correctly. All negative wires have to be connected to the bus bar an only one wire is going from the battery to the shunt.

4. Do you have wired the charge and load disconnect from the BMS to let the BMS cut off loads and charger if needed?

Maybe you got this error because of the deadly low battery voltage of 5.75V. Because the battery itself will shut down at some point and stops sending data to the BMS.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bw32056 avatar image bw32056 commented ·

Thanks for responding Mathias. Below are some readings and answers to your questions. the system is drawing at best 6amp. Yesterday at sundown it was reading 13.2V. 12hrs later it was at 5.75V, so i not sure the reading are right, maybe the wiring of the BMV?

1. I not sure the 5.75 V is correct as 1 hr later it was at 11.19v in the first hr of sunlight, after a day of sunlight it is now at 12.9V, 2 x 175W panels. The BMV shows 100% when voltage was 11.19V and 12.9V, not sure how that occurs

2. Is the Orion going to affect things until i remove it?

3.With the Wiring of the BMV the shunt has the RJ11 to the monitor, 1 wire to the negative side of the battery and 1 wire to the bus bar, is that wrong?

4. I have not connected the load/disconnect.

Thanks,
Ben

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ bw32056 commented ·

1. first you have to fix 3 and 4.

2. should't be a problem

3. in the wiring diagram are the negatives of the Phoenix, MPPT and AC-DC charger connected to the battery not the bus bar. Read the manual!

4. like that the BMS is useless, that can/will damage your. Read the manual!

0 Likes 0 ·
bw32056 avatar image bw32056 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks Matthias for your answer

0 Likes 0 ·
bw32056 avatar image bw32056 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Hi Matthias, hoping you can help me troubleshoot the install. I have rewired the MPPT, Pheonix and AC-DC to the Bus Bar. At 4pm the reading of the battery was 12.1V as it was charging with 1.4amp and 14W being drawn down. Within 4 hrs of sun down the battery from the BMV was reading 8.3V drawing 1.86A and 15W.

I have no idea how it can be drawing down. All I have done is change the connections to the busbar.

I have not removed the Orion TR as yet, for the BMS to MPPT connection, on the MPPT there is only a VE Direct connection, is this where I wire that too, do I need a Victron supplied cable, I asked the dealer and they were not sure. The original B<S error is no longer showing

Thanks Ben

0 Likes 0 ·
bms-mppt.jpg (95.1 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ bw32056 commented ·

For your MPPT you you will need this cable:
https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/ve-direct-non-inverting-remote-on-off-cable
For the Phoenix you can use a simple wire from the "load disconnect" to the connector marked with H of the remote terminal of the Phoenix.
The Phoenix draws 15-20W as long as it's switched on.

You also have to take the (+) for the BMV from the "load disconnect".

You should shut down the system and hire a qualified electrician to sort this out!
Otherwise you will kill you battery!

0 Likes 0 ·
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

Yes I'm always amazed that installers can't read the terrific install instructions that come with the BMV unit. (shakes head!)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic