question

ash avatar image
ash asked

Battery disconnect protection for load

Hi all,

I'm using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 to charge batteries and supply power to a load.
The system has isolator switches for both battery and solar, however we have found that occasionally the operator will disconnect the battery before solar, OR the battery fuse will blow if there is some system failure.

This cause the voltage across the load ports to spike to full solar input voltage before regulating down. The LVD is too slow to catch this. This has caused damage to some sensitive components attached to the MPPT load.

My question:

I want to use VE.Direct to monitor solar charge, battery state, and load power usage. But the load ports are proving to be risky. Is there a solution where we still get all the benefits of the load port in terms of usage statistics, but mitigate the risk of destroying attached devices?

My original thought was to use the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 paired with the Smart Battery Protect.. But I loose Voltage and Current stats for the load.

If I use the BMV712 with shunt, and run the load direct off the battery, will the MPPT and BMV712 communicate? What about the floating ground from the shunt..

Ideally is there someway to balance out the voltage spike from the load if the battery is disconnected?

MPPT ControllersVE.DirectVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources