question

ejm avatar image
ejm asked

Honda EU3000IS hooked up to the Victorn inverter problem?

Any one ever use the honda inverter generator EU3000IS hooked up to the Victorn inverter to charge the battery bank on cloudy days. I am being told they dont work good together. Please let me know if you have had successfully ran them together with no problems or what you did to fix it.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I have used a Honda EU3000i connected to a Multi 3k before.

You will want to read this first before attempting, and consider an AVR based model instead - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejm avatar image
ejm answered ·

Did you hook up the ground wire when you wired it to Multi? I use to run my off grid cabin with this generator and didnt want to have to spring for a new one that works with Victron. I had someone build me a kit with the 48/5000 quattro, he adjusted the charge, so my generator could handle the charge it will be slower, but should charge it. I was more worried about the ground wire because the Honda has a floating ground. Just wanted to see if anyone hooked it up and it ran with no issues.

4 comments
2 |3000

Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

No, I removed the ground wire as this generator is a V-O-V type and you short the one leg by connecting the ground wire. My EU30iS works perfectly, it's similar to your 3000iS.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejm avatar image ejm Ingo commented ·

Great, thanks for the info, I will disconnect the ground wire.

If anyone else had success or problems with running the EU3000IS with Victron please let me know.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Gardner avatar image Scott Gardner Ingo commented ·
Which ground wire did you disconnect? Chassis ground or at AC input. My multiplis is on a boat
0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo Scott Gardner commented ·

Not 100% sure about the chassis ground of the generator. I just didn't connect the ACOut ground from the generator to the ACIn ground of the Multi, just L & N. The chassis and ac grounds 'might' be different.

The Multi's ground relay shorts the one 120V leg to the actual ground and then the magic smoke comes out of the generator after a while.

Disclaimer: Please note that this is all at your own risk and you should follow local regulations for safety. I cannot advise on what to do, I can only comment on what I did.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Gardner avatar image
Scott Gardner answered ·

I am using a Honda 3000o Handi with my Victron multiplis 3000120/12. It handles the load well but I notice that the ac overload on the generator trips instantly when first coming in line. I usually have to lower the current limiter to 8amps then increase once connected. Anyone else have this issue?

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Scott Gardner

Do you have Dynamic Current Limiter checked? This will bring the genset on gradually, rather than in one hit.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Gardner avatar image Scott Gardner JohnC ♦ commented ·
I think I do but I am going out to the boat today and will check. The odd thing is it doesn’t even rev. Just instantly flip to ac overload
0 Likes 0 ·