question

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh asked

Victron connect functions for devices connected to GX?

A simple, but fairly long, connectivity question I could not find a clear answer to.

Short version:

If devices are connected to a Victron GX can I still use the Victron connect app to monitor real time data for each device?

When I get back to my boat after lockdown I will be changing from this setup:

BMV 700 with VE.direct to bluetooth

Multiplus Compact inverter charger 12/2000/80-30 230v no interface cable

To this setup:

BMV700 VE.direct to USB cable

Multiplus compact with MK3 - USB cable
MPPT 100/50 VE.direct - USB Cable

Venus GX on Raspberry pi Connected to each by USB

Limitations

I run Victron connect on my iPhone or iPad connected by wi-fi to the Venus GX. I am on a boat with wi-fi but can not guarantee a connection to the VRM.

I am familiar with all the product demos in Victron connect and know my way round Venus GX fairly well. But I have not yet connected my real devices to the Venus GX.

So the question is, if I want the overview available from Venus GX AND the detailed graphs from Victron connect, is this possible?

Will Victron connect connect through the Venus GX To the connected devices for the real time data and graphs?

Or

Will I have to make sure I can connect via Bluetooth as well to the BVM, MPPT, and Multiplus.

In the latter case I will have to get an MPPT with Bluetooth, and have to change my BMV to one with Bluetooth.

Or should it be possible for Both Venus GX and My iPhone be connected via Bluetooth to to the devices at the same time? (I don’t like this last solution as it is too complex)

Laurence

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMV Battery MonitorVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

If your MPPT is a smartsolar, you will be able to connect to it with VictronConnect and see information through VRM.

I don’t think you will be able to connect through VictronConnect to the BMV unless you upgrade to the 712.

The VRM allows much better data logging than the individual devices on VictronConnect, especially if you minimise the Update period.

I haven’t had a chance to see what’s available if you are connected to the same router without internet access, but now that I have the Venus I rarely use the VictronConnect App.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented ·

Thanks for the answer.

Really don’t want to rely on VRM and shortening the logging period will probably eat data on my mobile data plan.

I have already implemented my own local logging service in Victron GX and can display graphs on my iPhone so I’m might have to expand that if Victron connect is not an option.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vance Mitchell avatar image Vance Mitchell laurenceh commented ·

Another option for you is using the MQTT output from the Venus, I have no experience with that but images I have seen of other systems looks promising.

Ryan Britton Victron MQTT

It would be worth trying the local connection to the VRM, Venus.local When you are on the same network to see if it works without internet.

0 Likes 0 ·
laurenceh avatar image laurenceh Vance Mitchell commented ·

Well it seems Venus.local is a bonjour mediated alias for the address of the Venus GX device, which is very useful if you don’t know the IP address of your device. So this does work locally without the VRM. I wonder just how many forum pages where I have read “how to find out the IP address if your device” all of which are now redundant!!

However it only means you can connect to the Venus GX user interface. This means it does not get any further forward with accessing Victron devices to get the information that is available via Victron connect connections.

However it seems I probably now know enough about dbus interfacing and serving to a browser to implement all Victron connect functionality via Ajax and a browser, assuming that all information from devices is also published on the dbus, which I can’t confirm until my devices and my Raspberry pi are in the same place and connected. I just have to write what I want!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ laurenceh commented ·

The remote feature for VE.direct devices connected to a GX device (or rPi) is only available via the VRM-Portal.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#victonconnect-remote_vc-r_configuration_and_monitoring_via_vrm

0 Likes 0 ·
moonlightrider avatar image moonlightrider laurenceh commented ·

Hi

I also don't rely on VRM

I also have a local logging and a text based local web interface that updates every 10s. It's a basic shell script that gathers values from dbus and then use shell tools to process/clean, then, also made a basic web page to display them. Everything runs on a Venus Rpi, made use of the web server already there.

I can access it from outside securely connecting to my own OpenVPN sever.

As graphs go, unfortunately it's beyond my knowledge, also, I'm not so good at python, that's why I made this only using shell commands.

Are you planing to share your code in the future?I would be interested especially in the graph creation...

I would be thankful. I'm sure it would also help a lot more people.

0 Likes 0 ·