question

ppavlov avatar image
ppavlov asked

Battery charged from multiple sources

Hi I have MPPT charger 150/35 which is Ve.Msart network with Victron battery sense and that was charing until recently one AGV battery 200Ah . Recently I decided to change to LiFePo4 on my boat and after investigation I decided to to order Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A (360W) Isolated DC-DC charger the idea behind it is to protect y not so smart engine alternator. So as far as I can see this is not posible to connect the VE.Smart network so it won't be aware of the there charges on the battery . And then I also want to order the Victron Blue Smart IP22 charger will will allow me to charge the same battery usage shore power . That device is also not Ve.Smart network compatible to it won't be aware of the other two chargers that will charge the same battery. The new battery is 180Ah . So my question is can I connect them all to the same battery . Will they be able to charge simultaneously the same battery do I need some smart device between the chargers and the battery to control the power and the cycles . I can't find that information anywhere on the site . I guess the idea of having the VE.Smart network would of solve this issue as they will start talking to each other but at the moment two of those devices are ot sporting it . .

MPPT SmartSolarorion-tr smartip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jason Bolduc avatar image
Jason Bolduc answered ·

Charging your battery pack from multiple sources is very common. Victron attempts to report these additional sources of power when you turn "DC system" on in the control panel.

I believe that a Victron shunt is required for the system to correctly report the additional DC system sources.

I think the main concern would be managing the charge currents. Make sure you account for the additional charge amps from all sources when you set the DVCC charge limits.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason Bolduc avatar image
Jason Bolduc answered ·

Regarding controlling the charging devices with Victron you could use assistants and relays to turn chargers on or off based on battery parameters etc.

2 |3000

amcarter333 avatar image
amcarter333 answered ·

I have the same question. Did you ever get this sorted out? If so, could you share how you did it?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It would be better if you posted a specific question explaining what you wish to do and with what equipment.
0 Likes 0 ·