question

pmolettiere avatar image
pmolettiere asked

Possible to setup a Multiplus with a Cerbo GX and no Touch 50?

I'm looking to set up a system with a Multiplus 12/3000/50 120, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to set it up via a Cerbo GX, but without a Touch 50 in the system, either via Bluetooth, or via a connected B&G MFD. (There are three MFDs in the system already, and I'd rather not install another display just for the Cerbo GX.)

I just want to verify that all the Multiplus (and Cerbo) initialization and setup can be done via either wireless (Bluetooth, not sure if the Cerbo has WiFi), or a connected MFD.

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

Remote Console is available to configure

Via LAN or WiFi

After configuring VRM also via VRM

Or VictronConnect

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX_Device_Manual/en/accessing-the-gx-device.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmolettiere avatar image pmolettiere commented ·

Hi! This completely clarifies the connection to the Cerbo GX — I'm still not clear on whether the Remote Connection will allow me to configure the Multiplus in all respects, especially for the first time setup?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

GX devices can be controlled via a web browser on the local network or via VRM but these interfaces are slow relative to a local screen.

There is also an example HTML5 interface for limited status and operation (inverter mode and ac input current limit) at [Cerbo IP address]/app. This interface could be enhanced but you'd be on your own to implement what you need. Refer to https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-html5-app for more details.

The GX device (Cerbo) provides no Multi setup.

I recommend you buy a MK3 MK3 VE.Bus to USB adapter and run Victron Connect on Mac or Windows for programming the Multi. If you are programming multiple units (3-phase, split-phase or parallel systems) you must use the Windows tool set: VE.Bus System Configurator and VEConfig.

VRM does provide VE.Bus (inverter/charger) setup via Remote VEConfigure (under Device List). You download the current configuration from the Multi to the computer, edit it using VEConfig (Windows app) then upload it back to the Multi.

2 comments
2 |3000

pmolettiere avatar image pmolettiere commented ·

Thanks! This is super helpful! From your answer, it sounds like first time setup requires a computer — even with a CerboGx *AND* a Touch50. Or would the Touch50 count as a local screen?

Maybe at this point, a recommendation for the easiest way to configure the Multiplus in a self-contained way would be helpful… The options I've looked at include the Color Control GX, the Cerbo w/ Touch50, and the VE.Net Panel. I was hoping the Cerbo w/o the Touch50 would be a lower cost / better UI way of setting this up without a computer.

This is getting installed on a boat, and I'm trying to achieve an install that doesn't have a dependency on an external computer, including for the initial install.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem pmolettiere commented ·

Victron Connect is probably the most straightforward and easiest way to configure the Multi (assuming you aren't setting up a system with more than one Multi). You must connect to the Multi via the MK3 interface which requires a Mac or Windows computer or an Android tablet/phone.

You may be able to have your dealer program the Multi for you prior to delivery.

It's worth setting everything up in a shop or office prior to installation. That way you have space to move around and access to computers, internet, etc.

You can use the internal DIP switches to program some of the Multi's functionality. I don't recommend this as there's no way to check your work.

I suggest you look over Victron documentation on configuring the Multi:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-3k-120V-(firmware-xxxx4xx)-EN.pdf

https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html#connecting

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html#warning

There are also some helpful online training videos at https://professional.victronenergy.com.

There is no path to configure a Multi via a GX device. This applies to Cerbo with or without the Touch 50, CCGX, Venus GX, or Octo GX. (The Touch 50 is the local screen for the Cerbo. CCGX has a built-in screen, Venus GX and Octo GX have no local screen. All GX devices can be accessed by a web page on the local network or via VRM once they have been set up once.)

VE.Net is not supported on the Multi. It's an older protocol.

In terms of integration with your existing MFDs: there has been a lot of work done by Victron and others to make this a reality. From what I've read on the forum, many MFD systems include pages for Victron components. There are also third party user interfaces developed for some of these too. But it's something I'm not at all familiar with.

0 Likes 0 ·
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

It's definitely possible to configure the Multiplus via the Cerbo GX without the screen or connecting up an external computer directly.

Easiest way is via the VRM portal, using "Remote VEConfigure" which can be found on the VRM portal "Device List" page.

We do this with all our installations as it is the easiest option as you can sit in your office and do this, and also save the config files to your local machine as a backup.

7 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Yes, I do this too and it works great as long as you have an internet connection from Cerbo. That's not always a given which is why I suggested the MK3 and Victron Connect. Three things you can't do from Remote VEConfigure: update software; configure a system with multiple inverter/chargers; install/manage assistants. That's OK because it takes some additional education to do these things properly.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake Kevin Windrem commented ·

Just to have note here, since things have changed since 2020.

update software:
You can now update Inverters using VRM via a Cerbo.

configure a system with multiple inverter/chargers:
You can't do the initial commissioning but once commissioned you change make changes using Remote VEConfigure.

install/manage assistants:
This works.

Only need for the MK3 is to commission multi-inverter setups. I haven't found a need to use it for anything else. Single inverter setups no longer need a MK3.

1 Like 1 ·
trip-tracks avatar image trip-tracks Kevin Windrem commented ·

Yes, correct, Kevin. We update the firmware via MK3 but this isn't a feature we encourage our users to use. We don't encourage them to change the VEConfig either.

We usually only update the firmware at installation but could tweak the VEConfig a few times depending on the installation and when we add extra features we offer our customers for automating their systems for easy of use. This works well over internet as we do this remotely.

0 Likes 0 ·
trip-tracks avatar image trip-tracks Kevin Windrem commented ·

We don't find the local intranet access to the GX devices slow at all. They are slower over the internet, but that is due to the polling nature of the way the communication works via the Victron servers instead of having a direct connection.

We often use our own screens as we offer extra customisation our customers love that is not available on the standard UI.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·
First time config, new install. Need to change battery parameters and a few other items.

I'm not seeing VE.Configure as an option to click on when i look at the Multiplus II (which actually shows up as VE.Bus system) on my VRM Device list. Has this fucntionality been got rid of ? or do I have a connection issue perhaps?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·

Have a look at the remote configure webpage.

There is a video that shows what you need to do.

Dont skip any steps, good luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for that, i'm finally getting somewhere but it is a right old palaver.

I wonder why there are no easy instructions available or at least easy to find?

0 Likes 0 ·
mmsi2022 avatar image
mmsi2022 answered ·

This discussion was super helpful. Just deployed a Multiplus 2000/48/50 to my boat with Cerbo GX. Stunned that I can't configure the Multiplus with the Cerbo GX directly. This is something Victron is going to fix right?

5 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I do not believe Victron has any plans to allow configuration of ANY device from Cerbo. Other tools are available. The older Windows-only tools: VEConfig VEBus System Configurator, VE.Bus Quick Configure and VEFlash. VictronConnect (which runs on most computer and tablets and phones) is the future to replace the Windows-only tools.

Configuring an inverter/charger is extremely involved and not something that should complicate the Venus OS.

0 Likes 0 ·
punda avatar image punda commented ·
I share your concern, as I don’t have a private computer I can do this with, just a work laptop which cannot download anything. I wish it was possible to setup the multiplus via victron connect on my phone, like their more updated products.
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp punda commented ·
@Punda

It would be cheaper and faster to buy MK3-USB adapter and super cheap old Windows7 or even WindowsXP laptop.

0 Likes 0 ·
punda avatar image punda marekp commented ·

Sure, but having to buy extra equipment just to use functionality that should be easily accessible is a hallmark of a company that is soon to be outdone by more innovative companies who cares about user-friendlieness. Victron should really consider listening to their customers instead of ending up being outdone by others. I regret buying a multiplus instead of a cheap chinese inverter where I wouldn’t have to buy other equipment just to set it up.

2 Likes 2 ·
marekp avatar image marekp punda commented ·
@Punda

Ok, do whatever is good for you. Who am I to stop you?

0 Likes 0 ·