question

twistedtree avatar image
twistedtree asked

Skylla-I programming?

Is the Skylla-I programmable via some software tool, or are settings limited to those available via the DIP switches and dials? I ask because I'm struggling to figure out how to use it to charge and maintain a system with LFP batteries.

The pre-programmed LFP setting uses a voltage (3.55vpc) that is higher than I want, especially considering that the minimum absorb time is 2 hrs, which is also too long. On the Multi and Quattro this can be worked around using the Force to Float assistant, but it doesn't appear that there is an equivalent for the Skylla-i.

I have also looked at the Modbus registers and there doesn't appear to be any control that way either.

It looks like the only control is to use the BMS to shut off the Skylla completely, but that defeats one big reason to have the product in the first place, which is to carry loads when their is mains power available. The particular application is a boat that can be on mains power for extended time, and I want the loads carried by the Skylla rather than gratuitously cycling the batteries.

That brings up yet another thing I am struggling with which is the criteria by which the charger re-enters bulk/absorb. It is close enough to the Float voltage that I fear varying loads trigger it frequently, resulting is LFP batteries stored at full charge rather than a reduced charge.

With sufficient programming flexibility, this can all be worked around, but the Skylla-i appears pretty fixed in it's ways.

Any suggestions for workaround, or things I have missed?

Lithium BatterySkylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @twistedtree,

> Is the Skylla-I programmable via some software tool, or are settings limited to those available via the DIP switches and dials?

Its only those dials & dip switches at the moment. There is no software tool; yet.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ·

Could there be at least a documentation, please, where one could find out the valid range of values for those potentiometers?

E.g. we would like to use a 48/50 Skylla a "last resort charger", i.e. the only thing connected to grid and a LFP battery, where the rest of the installation is just an own microgrid (quattros probably) connected to the same battery.

Usually (= most of the time), said installation would work as an off-grid system and only if the battery fell to some low SoC, the skylla would charge it - but also only to a very limited SoC. E.g. we would like charging to start at 2.8V cell voltage and end at 3V cell voltage.

In the concrete case (18S battery), it would therefore be between 50.4V and 54V.

Unfortunately, the documentation remains silent in regards to the "from-to" boundaries.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic