question

sprinter2072 avatar image
sprinter2072 asked

Venus doesn't see multiplus

I just purchased.a multiplus 12/3000 120v. I connected it to my Venus GX with a standard Cat5e RJ45 cable. The Venus doesn't see the multiplus. I've tried two different RJ45 cables. I've tried rebooting the Venus multiple times. I've tried turning the multiplus off and on either before or after the Venus restarts. I made sure I was plugged into one of the ve.bus ports on the Venus . The Venus is running 2.58 firmware and the processor firmware code on the multiplus is 2702430.VFD. I believe ve.bus should work correctly.

My multiples also makes a buzzing noise when it is in inverter mode. I assume this is normal, but wasn't sure if it was somehow related.

I removed all other ve.direct devices but that didn't help either. I have an MPPT device and a BMV712 that connect just fine.

Any ideas? Is it possible the ve.bus interface on the Venus or multiplus is defective?

Thanks in advance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus GX - VGXmultiplus ve.bus
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sprinter2072 avatar image sprinter2072 commented ·

I ordered a mk3 usb cable thinking maybe some initial setup has to be done before the ve.bus connection will work. The inverter is working fine and the buzzing seems to have really gone down. I’ve added a pic of my wiring in case this gives someone an idea

0 Likes 0 ·
pracman avatar image pracman commented ·

My 2 Victrons2s buzz when inverting. Gets more noticeable when it gets over 3000w or more. It is not a issue so not an answer for you sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
sprinter2072 avatar image
sprinter2072 answered ·

Progress but still strange. I was able to connect my laptop to the multiplus using the mk3-usb device and the same ethernet cable I had tried before. I also tested connecting to the Venus using the mk3-usb device. The Venus detected and started showing the multiplus on the VRM web site. However, when I plugged the ethernet cable directly into the Venus in the ve.bus port, it no longer worked - it showed the multiplus as disconnected. I upgrade the firmware of the multiplus from 430 to 472. That didn't help. So for now, I have the mk3-usb connected to the Venus and then to the multiplus. It works, but it shouldn't be required.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Have you tried another RJ45 cable?

If you have the same problem with another cable you should contact your dealer for a replacement maybe the VE.bus port of the Venus is defective.

0 Likes 0 ·