question

david-ktn avatar image
david-ktn asked

Odd battery protect behavior in lithium mode

I have a smart BP-65 connected to a mini-bms and victron lion battery. The BP-65 is configured for LION mode through the app. When I unplug the remote connector, simulating loss of +12v from BMS, nothing happens. My understanding is in LION mode it should immediately disconnect the load? If I unplug the ground, the BP says it's shutting down due to low voltage, which again my understanding is in LION mode the voltage settings are ignored?

Any thoughts? I did a reset to default but no change in behavior.

Lithium BatteryBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
david-ktn avatar image
david-ktn answered ·

As a follow-up, I was able to put a meter on the remote wire coming from the BMS to the BP-65 and I can see the voltage on the trigger wire is +12v (12v system), and when I disconnect the trigger from the BMS the voltage steadily degrades down to something < 1v over a period of about 90 seconds. However the BP doesn't turn off when the remote wire is no longer pulled high, nor after it has degraded to <1v. My next thought was to try and see what happens when its pulled low, or maybe use a resistor so the voltage drops from 12v more quickly. But still weird its not functioning as I would have expected based on the documentation.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic