question

Ben Pearson avatar image
Ben Pearson asked

DC Leakage from Multiplus?

Hey all,

I wanted to ask if anyone knows about DC leakage onto the AC system when using a Multiplus. For instance shore power AC incomer feeding Multiplus, feeding AC circuits on board. This is to do with DC blinding on RCDs making them operate differently or not at all. I wanted to know if an RCD would be affected either before or after the Multiplus.

If there is the possibility of an affect, what type of DC would this be as well as that effects the type of RCD selection to accommodate (e.g. Type A: Ensures tripping for residual a.c. currents and pulsating d.c. currents, whether suddenly applied or slowly rising. Type B: Ensures tripping for residual a.c. currents, pulsating d.c. currents and smooth d.c. currents, whether suddenly applied or slowly rising.)

I hope that makes sense and please correct me if I have missed something entirely on this!

Many thanks

Ben

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

On the AC side of a MultiPlus is a large iron core low frequency (50 / 60 Hz) transformer. This design inherently blocks DC.
So, if all DC and AC wiring is correct, then it is not possible for any DC to appear on the AC side. Even if the DC power pack went one legged or short, it would not be able to put DC onto the AC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.