question

Chris Barber avatar image
Chris Barber asked

Configuring Phoenix 24/3000 inverters for parallel operation

Hi,

I'm planning to install a pair of Phoenix 24/3000 inverters for parallel operation and not finding enough detailed documentation on the configuration process. I've already got one of the two inverters on line, remote control via CCGX, VRM portal is working, bidirectional comms are working, I can do the config file download/upload thing, VEConfig 3 is installed on my computer.

I'm also aware of the need for firmware matching (read all the posts on that, especially from Phil Gavin)

Can someone please point me to the actual documentation for these configurations? There's supposedly a video but Victron says you need an installer account to get to it.

I just need the info on how to put the configuration to each inverter, and maybe a schematic of what Victron expects for per-inverter circuit protection. I'm planning on a 30 amp two pole circuit breaker at the output of each inverter before they are joined but it would be nice to see this confirmed in Victron specifications.

The VEConfig app contains absolutely no mention of paralleling. Perhaps the features are hidden unless there are actually two or more inverters present in the system? That's understandable if so, but completely undocumented.

All the docs I've read claim to contain all the details for configuring parallel and three phase modes, but fall short of actually doing so, or just point a finger at another document. Or they end up saying "this is too complex for the end user. You must hire an installer to do this".

True, parallel and multiphase AC system are complex but the rocket science is already in the blue boxes. I've spent my career building complex power systems and written the software for them including paralleling inverters and all that. I know the science behind this. I should not need to hire anyone to do it for me.

Thanks

Chris

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Barber answered ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I've read the document you referenced. It contains a lot of good theory of operation and system design requirements but really does not say anything about the actual process of configuring a system.

However I was able to create an account and access the online training courses and videos and these really do have the necessary information. I do not understand why you make this information so obscured.

Finally, to the real point of my reply here, it appears to me that, despite all the generally available documentation, it is necessary to use the MK3 USB interface to communicate with the system during the configuration with Quick Configure or System Configurator. Is this correct? Your generally available documentation all says that if the system is network connected through a GX interface that you can use this method for configuration (offline file download/upload). However this is only possible for the most basic individual unit configs as far as I can tell. There is no way to use the Quick Config or System Configurator without a live port connected to the system.

Can I use the USB Host Port on the back of the CCGX instead of buying and installing a MK3?

Thanks

Chris

2 |3000

Chris Barber answered ·

Hi, no reply to my last question, asking again:

Can I use the USB Host Port on the back of the CCGX instead of buying and installing a MK3?

Thanks

Chris

2 |3000