question

Pedro Lima avatar image
Pedro Lima asked

ESS with CT

Hi there,

A customer wants us to install an ESS system. But, for some reason, he dont want to change anything on the existing consumer unit, so it needs to be a CT clamp.. Direct measurement ET112 is not a option.. Multiplus II CT clamp not possible too, as the inverter will be 8m away from the CT.

Does anyone knows, if there is an ET112 meter version with CT connection?

Open to suggestions!

Thanks

ESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

I have a similar question ...distance too far for ET112 and CT clamp.

Zigbee option too expensive.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tsteinke avatar image
tsteinke answered ·

@Pedro Lima @Jaco Reinecke

Hi Jaco, Pedro,

I know, this is an old, maybe outdated question, but since I found an answer yesterday I'll forwarded it.

Victron supplies two types of the simple ct; one with 1m cable (CTR110000500) and one with 5m cable (CTR110000550).

I've installed the one with 5m cable on the incoming phase yesterday, and it worked flawlessly (well, almost; I've mounted it in the wrong direction at first, which give a false reading regarding the current flow; I've corrected it yesterday).

Now my MP2 (48/3000) works in ESS mode the same way as if you put all loads on AC Out; but the ct is less expensive and easier to install than a ET112.

From my point of view it is easy to extend the cable for a few meters with a 3,5 mm stereo headphone extension cable (shielded version prefereable). I've read about a lengh of about 30m (with shielded TP cable); therefore about 5m should not be a problem.

Looking forward to hear from your experiences.

Best regards

Thomas

2 |3000

Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

@tsteinke I've since learned one can use UTP cable to extend the 5m premade cable, by using pairs of wires to extend the existing cable's distance.

The exact distance escapes me now, it is more than 30m if memory serves, 100m comes to mind but I may be mixing different sources, so I stand to be corrected, but it is far.

2 |3000

h-copter avatar image
h-copter answered ·

@Pedro Lima what did you end up using? I have the same setup and am keen to know whether a CT with extended cable will work. Thanks

2 |3000