question

doug427 avatar image
doug427 asked

Which Inverter for home

I am requesting some input from our members

I NEED a battery powered (later, solar assist) inverter system for my home well water pump. The pump is 240 single phase, 2,500w load. I am not sure about surge.

I WANT a split phase system that can be expanded and not require a new system. The inverter (brand) cost is the consideration The price difference between want and need = $700 and $1,800. I have scoured Youtube on split phase inverters. To many brands/models out there. I want to start there:

- in the 3,000-6,000 watt range, which brands are best (quality)? (AIMS, Signeer)

- I started thinking of 48v, then moved towards 24v, comments?

- I plan to start with 2-4 each, low cost, 100ah, sealed batteries.

- 1 solar panel to learn with

- interconnect directly with pump initially

- other initial considerations?

Please advise, thanks, -Doug

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lklmenterprises avatar image lklmenterprises commented ·

Quite a few questions your query raises...

Which country - I can say for a start that if Australia between the range of $700 and $1800 will not get you much past a 2000va Victron single unit - let alone purchasing 3 to get Multi-phase. Unless you are just talking about specifically the Price Differences...i.e. willing to spend $5000, but the Want is $6800, and the Need is $5700...?!

Not sure how many on the Victron community would be willing to sprout other brands...

Most of the times - size wise - Factor your Inverter for Double the regular load. so you are saying 2500w Normal load. Most likely that also means it's dump load will be up to double that. So a 5Kva unit would suit on both sides. One - to drive the unit safely without struggling, and secondly as the dump load for the 5Kva will be well beyond what you need.

Is the 2500W load what you have measured it using, or what it is rated at? also if the Pump is Single phase, why are you wanting Multi-phase? Also how often does it run...is it 2500w for only 10 seconds at a time? or does it run 24/7

48v Will be more efficient for the higher load you require.

If not using Solar (since you are only using one panel.) - and wanting 3 phase...do you have sufficient Grid power to keep charge on 48v batteries to the amount the Pump will continually draw.

Can you elaborate on how you term Interconnect - Do you just mean, it will be the only powered load, or are you talking electronic interconnet, such as relaying, reporting, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

-Unfortunately we can't pass comment on other brand inverters here. Victron are the best ones.

-Keep thinking about 48V, this is the best track especially for high power systems. However, your PV array Voltage must be higher than the battery Voltage, so a single panel will be no good at all. You'd need at least three "24V" panels in series to get decent performance from the PV array.
One panel might work on a 24V battery system Voltage, but I experienced poor performance, so I also expect poor perfomance with two series connected panels on a 48V battery system.

-A battery bank of 100Ah will be too small for for the power range that you suggest. That is only 2.4KWh or usable energy, it will be flat in under an hour at 3KW.

-1 panel would be too small for the power range that you are thinking about. It's take all sunshiny day to gain the 2.4KWh that your battery needs to fully charge from flat.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.