question

tony-towers avatar image
tony-towers asked

Lynx Distribution with midi fuses?

Hi, I wonder if it is possible to use midi fuses on a lynx DC distribution system? So far I only can see the lynx only allows Mega fuses.

Regards,

lynx shunt
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chad-poindexter avatar image chad-poindexter commented ·

I have a Lynx Power In, which is the same thing as the Distribution Center, but without all the electronics. I actually thought the same thing when I got mine and ordered a few MIDI fuses... Turns out the MIDI fuses are too small to fit in the Lynx. I ended up having to order the MEGA fuses. For the record, MIDI, MEGA and ANL all have different dimensions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

I wonder why you would want to do that? Mega fuses are very cheap so why not use the fuse the device is designed for?

0 Likes 0 ·
100-proof avatar image 100-proof Trevor Bird commented ·

Can't get a MEGA fuse below about 50 Amps. If you need something smaller, you adapt and overcome. 8)

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
abefroman avatar image
abefroman answered ·

I have the exact same question. I need to use a 50A fuse for one of my connections and having a lot of trouble finding MEGA fuses of that size, it's easy to find MIDI through

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

balachai avatar image
balachai answered ·

I've found a workaround to fit Midi fuses into a Lynx Distributor, but I haven't energised it yet. Any problems with this? Here's what I did.

1. Made a fuse extender:

- Cut a 40mm long copper bar, mine is 19mm wide & 6mm thick but 3mm should be OK.

- Drill a 6mm hole, centre is 6mm from one end.

- Drill a 9mm hole, centre 20mm from the first hole centre.

- Lightly chamfer holes, debur bar edges, sand smooth & clean with isopropyl alcohol.

2. Attached the fuse extender to the Midi fuse:

- Bolt the Midi fuse to the extender using a 12mm long stainless M5 mushroom-head bolt with washer, spring washer & nut.

3. Made a M5 post:

- Put a big washer on a stainless hex head M5 bolt, 25mm long.

- Put it through the removable Victron plastic bolt holder.

- Add a large washer and a nut and bolt it down tightly, clamping the plastic between the two washers.

- Reinstall the plastic bolt holder.

- Add 2 more nuts and a large washer.

4. Installed the fuse:

- Place the extended fuse into the Lynx Distributor.

- Secure each end with lock washer and nut. M8 at the positive busbar, M5 at the other end.

2 |3000

veggiemate avatar image
veggiemate answered ·

Managed to convert my Lynx Power In unit for use with 3 midi fuses. Works for me :)
lynx-power-in-distribution.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic