question

confused avatar image
confused asked

BlueSmart IP22 12/15/3 on 2 batteries with Cyrix ct

Hi!

I am preparing to put my new IP 22 on my boat, and realised I have 2 batteries separated with a cyrix (Cyrix-ct 12/24V-120A ). My new charger can handle 2 batteries- but should it? Or should I leave the charge distribution to the cyrix, and only connect one battery

Thanks for your thoughts, this is confusing stuff...

chargerCyrix Battery Combiner
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

confused avatar image confused commented ·

No takers?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ·

Diagrams perhaps?

What was the initial setup you had that required the Cyrix?

yes the IP22 will charge multiple outputs...but all in all depends on what you have going on beyond the DC source and how you use the power.

The Cyrix is typically for DC distribution and isolation - wherein they are typically used to allow a Single source to charge 2 batteries, but disconnect when no charge is incoming. i.e. Allowing supplimental charging of an Inverter battery from an Alternator (as the +Batt1 source) - but the moment the Alternator is off it will disconnect that source from +Batt2 (Inverter battery.)

So again it comes down to how and why you have the Cyrix seperating the 2 batts in the first place, is one a Primary and one a Backup, or they are used for 2 different systems on the boat, etc.

The IP22 is new - so how are you currently charging Both batteries - presumably through 1 DC input source via the Cyrix, so this would say that in operation you keep your batteries seperate maybe one for Motor, and one for Marine radio (ergo not wanting it to ever be flat!) and now wish to just charge them at the same time, but still make sure they are seperate in Operation. So - indeed you could just connect one DC source to the Cyrix as though nothing has changed...Or you can connect to seperate Outputs of the IP22.

My understanding is the IP22 has independantly switched FET isolation for each of the outputs. and it will charge the Battery with the Lowest charge first, then switch over to the others. So when the IP22 is off - each Battery should be Isolated.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic