question

arthur-zonneveld avatar image

Connecting Venus to Ve-Can MPPT [old Model ] and Pylontech

Good day. My client has 2x150/85 ve-can[ old model] and pylontech batteries.I need to connect with venus. Under the service settings, I use with Can-Bus 1, Can-Bus[ 500kbits/s and it does pick-up the pylontech. Now here is the problem, Can-Bus 2, VE-Can, and Can-Bus 250 Kbits is supposed to work.NO SUCCESS. Please advice.

Venus GX - VGX
4 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Arthur Zonneveld, just to clarify: is the Pylontech BMS connected to the RJ-45 CAN Bus input with a terminator and the charge controllers to the screw connector CAN Bus input?

CheckIT, both are plugged into the RJ-45 CAN Bus.

Hi @Willem Elize Heyneke

the RJ45 canbus ports are the same canbus, the 'second' canbus (CAN2) is on a different connector, see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-gx:start#overview_of_connections

please note that the older style CANbus MPPT's are not supported for DVCC:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image Willem & Elize Heyneke Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ·

Dear Daniël, both the MPPT 150/85 (exactly the same as shown in picture) and the Pylontech batteries are plugged into the VE.Can ports.

In the setup of the Venus the two CAN-bus channels have been set at different Baud rates. The one is at 500kb/s and the other at 250kbit/s expecting that the Venus will interpret the two port differently. I can see the MPPT when the Pylontech is disconnected but when it is plugged in the MPPT disappears.

I am trying to understand your comment and link regarding the CAN2 is on a different connector.

Is there a way around this? I had a CCGX color controller and changed it to the Venus as I was expecting it to be sorted out with the Venus

1593272560307.png (258.6 KiB)
1593272820959.png (17.8 KiB)
3 Answers
Henrik avatar image
Henrik answered ·

We face the same problem. Can you please confirm my understanding:

PyloTech batteries on CAN2 (setting to 500kbit/s)

AND

several SmartSolar MPPTs at the VE.CAN (setting 250kBit/s)

work together at your site?

3 comments

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Affirmative. Use the RJ45 cable plugged into the MPPT, cut off the end that normally goes into the Venus and connect the cables as per the instructions on the forum.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable

Type B...

cutoffs.jpg

cutoffs.jpg (37.5 KiB)

Connection onto the Venusconnection.jpg

connection.jpg (42.6 KiB)
Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image
Willem & Elize Heyneke answered ·

We found an answer! Thanks to Arthur Zonneveld!

Found answer burried in Victron Site. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable

Keep the RF45 plug in the batteries and cut the plug off at the other end. Connect the the pins 2,4 and 5 colours into the CAN2 port. We had to set the VE.Direct speed back to 250kb/sec.

1593437421344.png (921.4 KiB)

jacola avatar image
jacola answered ·

my installer yesterday had the exact same problem, downgrading the software from latest beta to latest release on the venus gx solved the problem - this might be helpful to know.

Johannes

1 comment

Dear Johannes, can you share the contact details of your installer. I have re-installed the previous firmware - but same problem. I would like to have discussion with him please.