question

arthur-zonneveld avatar image
arthur-zonneveld asked

Connecting Venus to Ve-Can MPPT [old Model ] and Pylontech

Good day. My client has 2x150/85 ve-can[ old model] and pylontech batteries.I need to connect with venus. Under the service settings, I use with Can-Bus 1, Can-Bus[ 500kbits/s and it does pick-up the pylontech. Now here is the problem, Can-Bus 2, VE-Can, and Can-Bus 250 Kbits is supposed to work.NO SUCCESS. Please advice.

Venus GX - VGX
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

checkit avatar image checkit commented ·

Hi Arthur Zonneveld, just to clarify: is the Pylontech BMS connected to the RJ-45 CAN Bus input with a terminator and the charge controllers to the screw connector CAN Bus input?

0 Likes 0 ·
Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image Willem & Elize Heyneke checkit commented ·

CheckIT, both are plugged into the RJ-45 CAN Bus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Willem & Elize Heyneke commented ·

Hi @Willem Elize Heyneke

the RJ45 canbus ports are the same canbus, the 'second' canbus (CAN2) is on a different connector, see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-gx:start#overview_of_connections

please note that the older style CANbus MPPT's are not supported for DVCC:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

0 Likes 0 ·
Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image Willem & Elize Heyneke Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Dear Daniël, both the MPPT 150/85 (exactly the same as shown in picture) and the Pylontech batteries are plugged into the VE.Can ports.

In the setup of the Venus the two CAN-bus channels have been set at different Baud rates. The one is at 500kb/s and the other at 250kbit/s expecting that the Venus will interpret the two port differently. I can see the MPPT when the Pylontech is disconnected but when it is plugged in the MPPT disappears.

I am trying to understand your comment and link regarding the CAN2 is on a different connector.

Is there a way around this? I had a CCGX color controller and changed it to the Venus as I was expecting it to be sorted out with the Venus

0 Likes 0 ·
1593272560307.png (258.6 KiB)
1593272820959.png (17.8 KiB)
3 Answers
Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image
Willem & Elize Heyneke answered ·

We found an answer! Thanks to Arthur Zonneveld!

Found answer burried in Victron Site. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable

Keep the RF45 plug in the batteries and cut the plug off at the other end. Connect the the pins 2,4 and 5 colours into the CAN2 port. We had to set the VE.Direct speed back to 250kb/sec.

1593437421344.png (921.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Henrik avatar image
Henrik answered ·

We face the same problem. Can you please confirm my understanding:

PyloTech batteries on CAN2 (setting to 500kbit/s)

AND

several SmartSolar MPPTs at the VE.CAN (setting 250kBit/s)

work together at your site?

4 comments
2 |3000

Willem & Elize Heyneke avatar image Willem & Elize Heyneke commented ·

Affirmative. Use the RJ45 cable plugged into the MPPT, cut off the end that normally goes into the Venus and connect the cables as per the instructions on the forum.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable

Type B...

cutoffs.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
cutoffs.jpg (37.5 KiB)

Connection onto the Venusconnection.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
connection.jpg (42.6 KiB)
joeelb avatar image joeelb Willem & Elize Heyneke commented ·
Hello, why are 2 wires connected to each contact. I have the same problem. I understood that differently in other instructions.
0 Likes 0 ·

Color Controllercolor.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
color.jpg (149.3 KiB)
jacola avatar image
jacola answered ·

my installer yesterday had the exact same problem, downgrading the software from latest beta to latest release on the venus gx solved the problem - this might be helpful to know.

Johannes

1 comment
2 |3000

Dear Johannes, can you share the contact details of your installer. I have re-installed the previous firmware - but same problem. I would like to have discussion with him please.

0 Likes 0 ·