question

Javier Moran avatar image
Javier Moran asked

Connect 24V DC power supply to EasySolar

Dear community, good morning

Is it possible to power the DC bus of an Easysolar 24/3000 with a benchtop power supply?. I have no batteries in stock right now and I need to power it on in order to configure some settings and register on the VRM. I will only power the DC bus and will not connect the AC inputs.

Is this safe to do?

Thanks for your input.

Besy regards!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerEasySolar All-in-One
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Javier Moran

My main concern for the power supply will be the high current draw as the capacitors in the multi charge up. Is it able to take that?

You could charge the capcitors up on mains but then again your power supply won't take a 'charge' it only supplies.

I have in a pinch powered up from mains alone before connecting the batteries to prevent those huge sparks. Connected battery could not provide the surge and was having issues so was effectively off. But it is not recommend for running purposes, as the system takes it reference from the batteries.

To register on the vrm you can power up the color control on its own from the power supply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Javier Moran avatar image Javier Moran Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Dear Alexandra, good afternoon

Thanks for oyur feedback. Power supply is 30 Amp rated. I think it can take the surge.

I will give it a try.

Already configued Color Control that way, wanted to config the MPPT and Multi that are installed on the EasySolar.

Thanks again for your attention.

Best regards,

Javier.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Javier Moran commented ·

@Javier Moran

How did your startup go? I have been wondering if you were successful with your power supply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Javier Moran avatar image Javier Moran Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Dear Alexandra, good afternoon

I plug it a few times and voltage dropped and nothing happened (maybe the power supply could´t handle the surge)

In the end I got some spare batteries.

Will try in next installation with a beefier power supply

Thanks again for your comments

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Alexandra ♦ commented ·

A decent bench supply will limit current and allow the capacitors in the Multi to charge slowly it the current set on the supply. Probably better than using AC mains as this also will be a huge inrush.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Take care, but yes, this is fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.