question

breathengo avatar image
breathengo asked

[Van] - Do I need both Victron Smart Controller AND a Inverter/Charger combo?

I know I need a SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller and an Inverter.

My Q is: do I need the Victron Inverter/Charger combo or just an Inverter?

With appreciation,

David

MPPT SmartSolarPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @breathengo,

it depends. If you wanna charge your batteries when on shore power, the comber Inverter/Charger is a good deal. If there is no shore power at all, just an Inverter will do to power your AC loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

breathengo avatar image
breathengo answered ·

@Stefanie thank you! That totally answers my question. We are planning for shore power - so the Inverter/Charger combo is a good decision.

Another quick Q in case you can advise:
Choosing the right Victron Smart Solar MPPT controller.

We will be using 2x 175W HQST solar panels in series.

According to this resource here with Will Prowse, he recommends the SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller.

If we add another 100 - 150W panel, does that change the SmartSolar MPPT version?

With appreciation,
David

1 comment
2 |3000

@breathengo,

I can't find any info for the HQST 175W. Be aware that the 100/30 maximum PV Voltage (open circuit voltage = Voc) is 100V. This must include any adjustment for temperature.
Anything above 100V will blow the MPPT.

If you wanna add another panel, it should be the same size (Power, Voltage etc.). Don't try to mix different panelsd.
The maximum output for the MPPT is 30A. I suggest you try the MPPT Calculator Excel Sheet in the download section and see (provided you have a datasheet for your Solar Panels) what the calculator suggests for the right MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Please post a full spec of your panels for better recommendations of which MPPT controller to go for.

2 |3000