question

craigp avatar image
craigp asked

Phoenix Inverter Smart 1600 - do i need a battery protect?

Do in need a physical Battery Protect when connecting a Phoenix Inverter Smart 1600 to a lithium battery?

Can I achieve the same thing with the remote ON/ OFF on the inverter controlled from miniBMS to protect against low voltage?

Can I achieve the same thing using the configurable Low Battery Voltage Cut-Off and re-start settings?

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The battery protect is really designed for devices which don't have configurable cut-off Voltages like lamps and motors.

The inverter has configurable shutdown settings, so it is best to employ those and / or the remote port to disable the inverter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ·

Hi @craigp,

The official Victron recommendation is to not rely on the inverter only to disconnect the battery in an under-voltage or over-charging situation. Many inverters (I don't know about the Phoenix but I'd assume it to be the same) still draw from the battery when switched off which over time will drain your battery.

Your BMS should therefore drive a contactor or a battery protect. I've actually just asked a question about the merits of either of those on the community forum.

Jan

2 |3000