question

vicky avatar image
vicky asked

I read some posts and manuals but still dindn't fully understand what log interval setting finally means. ( I am on 70MBit Internet link, so not worried about the traffic, however I don't want to keep the VRM portal busy uneccessarily.

Manual says:
Set to anything between 1 minute and 1 day. Choose longer times on systems with an unreliable connection. Note that this setting does not affect reporting problems and state changes (bulk → absorption) to the VRM Portal. These events initiate an immediate transmission of all parameters.

Is this only the interval for transmision of parameters to VRM portal, or is it also dictating the real data logging interval, i.e. how often data is captured by the VENUS GX ?

Txs

VRMVenus GX - VGX
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

I can tell you that when interval is set at 10 minute, on the VRM portal info is visible per 10 minutes. So it doesn't save the data and sends it all at once every 10 minutes.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

@Boekel Really? I did not come to the same conclusion, but I only switched between 1 and 5 minutes.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

yes, see screenshot. I've put this system on 10 minute inverval because it is in Belgium with a Dutch 4G connection, a 1 minute inverval was quite expensive ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

Ok, that's interesting. Manual says:

Log interval 15 minutes Set to anything between 1 minute and 1 day. Choose longer times on systems with an unreliable connection. Note that this setting does not affect reporting problems and state changes (bulk → absorption) to the VRM Portal. These events initiate an immediate transmission of all parameters.

I just checked, and you are right @Boekel as so often. I delete my wrong answer...

0 Likes 0 ·

It would be nice if it had an option to save up the data and sends it at longer intervals.

Mobile data connections often charge a minimum (like 100KB) per connection, that's what makes it expensive to use the 1 minute option.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

@Boekel How does a 1 day setting makes sense then? Not really?!?

0 Likes 0 ·

I havent tried that, maybe that works different.

0 Likes 0 ·
vicky avatar image vicky boekel ♦ commented ·

@Boekel

thanks!

So until I have the local Modbus logging I'll stay with 1 min.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

if you want more precise longtime logging i recommend external modbus logging in own Database. We acuall log 5 sec interval the importend data to a own mysqlDB

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

@Peter Polz

this sounds like what I want :)

Would be happy if you could share how you did it.
Either here or via e-mail (multigrid@manzell-city.de)
Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic