question

mike-1 avatar image
mike-1 asked

Multiplus 24/3000/70-16 Occasionaly doesn't power up.

My Multiplus 24/3000/70-16 (Product ID=2616, firmware = 158) is connected via VE Bus to a Venus GX. The GX logs on to the Victron VRM via a permanently powered and internet connected router. There are occasions when I remotely turn off the Multiplus via the Remote Console on the VRM. Occasionaly (about 1 time out of 10) when I turn it back on remotely the Multiplus doesn't power up. I can hear a relay click in the multiplus so the "turn on" command is getting there but it doesn't start inverting. If I turn it off and on again this doesn't fix it. If I reboot the GX then turn on the Multi it then works ok. Any ideas?

I know that the firmware of the Multi isn't the latest (the GX is up to date). Would it be worth updating the Multi firmware? If so is it easy to do? The Victron web site suggests you shouldn't update if you don't know what you are doing. I have the means to connect directly to to Multi from a laptop.

Multiplus-IIremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ยท

Hi,

sounds like a firmware problem as you say.

Itโ€™s actually pretty easy now to update the firm ware using victron connect. You need a windows pc and a mk3 usb. Fire up victron connect and it more or less does it for you.

You need to save your configuration first if thereโ€™s anything special to your install like assistants/grid codes/battery setting etc.

This is all completely cleared by the firmware update, which is I think the basis of the warnings as many of Those settings can have a great impact on the safety of the system.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Victron Connect probably won't work with that level firmware. You'd need to download VEFlash and maybe grab the firmware file from Victron Professional. Easy sign-in, and the file you need (as of today) will be named "2616474.vff".

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

Victron don't recommend amateurs do this, as that term includes careless bunnies. Many of us are remote from Victron dealers, and must diy it, but if you take care it should be ok.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mike-1 avatar image mike-1 JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks both. I can't use Vicrton Connect, it says the firmware is too old. So I shall think about using VEFlash. I'm quite used to updating firmware on telephone systems, I've been doing it since the mid 1990s so I think I might give it a go!

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Remote Console on VRM - Troubleshooting

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic