question

fxd avatar image
fxd asked

VE.Direct Hex protocol register IDs - unique across VE product range or per product group (MPPT, SBP, etc )?

Are the register IDs used in the VE.Direct Hex protocol unique across the entire VE product range or only for a particular product group (MPPT, SBP, etc )? Further, is there a document equivalent to the "VE.Direct Protocol - BlueSolar and SmartSolar MPPT chargers" for the SmartBatteryProtect (SBP) and SmartShunt?

I've recently developed an Arduino class library comprised of a base class that handles the Hex mode serial communications, frame encode/decode, etc and then a device specific MPPT class derived from this base class, with a view to creating a set of SBP and SmartShunt device specific classes. Hence the questions to enable me to move on with the next stage of my project.

BTW - Really appreciate that your devices provide this interface and the documentation you've made available. Had a lot of fun with this, and it works like a treat!!!

VE.Directdocumentationprotocol
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @fxd,

They are unique accross the product range.

when it comes to read out of voltages, currents and such, VREGs will be consistently the same between the devices. Ie the same VREG can be used to request battery voltage from all devices.

But when it comes to settings and configuration, the same setting in two devices can have ended up having a different VREG.

SmartShunt: use the BMV document. We’ll amend that to make sure it mentions the SmartShunt & probably BMV-712 is also missing from it. But VREGs will be all the same.

SBP: that doesnt have a VE.Direct port? (And we haven’t written a VREG document for it).

and, thank you! we are also enjoying make it all.

Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic