question

jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel asked

VictronConnect feedback - Why force firmware update for MultiPlus?

Hi,

I had a call out tonight to check the programming of a Multi and brought the (Linux) laptop with VictronConnect. Many thanks btw for making that available: we're on our way to one less requirement to keep Windows :-)

I could however not use it as VictronConnect wanted to upgrade the firmware of the Multi before it would do anything else. That was a bit inconvenient and also seems to contradict the advise not to upgrade firmware unless you have an issue, want a new feature or need support.

The firmware of this particular Multi was upgraded only last week after installing a new battery bank.

Upgrading would have taken me too long this time of the day, especially since VictronConnect cannot retain all the settings, thus requiring the use of a Windows PC with VE.Configure to retrieve those settings first.

Is there a reason why I can't simply tell VictronConnect to ignore the firmware upgrade (for now)?

thanks,
Jan

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @jbakuwel,

We are soo close here :)

Unfortunately using VictronConnect to program a MultiPlus is considered a new feature, so it can require a firmware update.

However once the MultiPlus is above the minimum version required, it will not force an update again, unless essential (which is rare).

Now this is where it is strange and unexpected; You said the firmware was updated only a week ago, what was the version that it was upgraded from and to?

If you updated to the latest version last week, there is no reason I can think of that a new firmware update is required.

There are two cases where the firmware update is required for settings:

1- Firmware is running a too old firmware, minimum supported is 415 for settings.

2- If a new firmware changes the meaning or limits of an existing setting/parameter, VictronConnect will be in sync with it and will not provide backwards compatibility. This doesn't happen too often. Last time was with firmware version 460 on August 2019 and there was a good reason for it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ยท

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

The MP is running 2624474, if I recall correctly VictronConnect was going to upgrade to 2624476. I upgraded the Multi (sold about a year ago) using VE.Flash last week from factory firmware to 2624474. I can check later this week / next week if I've got the firmware versions right, but my memory is usually fine :-)

Am I right to recall that it is not yet possible to program the AC in current limit with VictronConnect? At least I couldn't find it easily.

regards,
Jan

1 comment
2 |3000

Very strange indeed.

Would it be possible to do a screen recording next time you try and connect. And also export a service report?

What you are describing sounds like it could be a bug.

You can adjust AC input current limit - have a look at the manual here - even includes a video of me showing how - https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources