question

micserver avatar image
micserver asked

Is it worth Registering a Motor Home Solar Installation to VRM?

Hello, i have installed 2*100W solar panel loading a 110Ah lithium battery using an MPPT 75/15. I'm wondering if it would make sense using VRM portal to analyse and watch the installation? Data feeding would only be possible if WLAN connection is up...

Your thoughts?

Michael

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Did it for a month, wasn't worth it for me as the self consumption of RPi was adding up against already miserable gains in early winter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarhack avatar image
solarhack answered ·

Hi

I suppose it all depends what you want.

If you want monitoring and history then the I believe the following options exist:

• If its a Bluetooth enabled MPPT you could use the Victron Connect App
  • If you are not worried about the self consumption of a Raspberry PI but may not have data or connectivity you could install the Victron Docker Grafana dashboard (Built for scenarios like this). You may have to to offset the consumption and you would have how you wanted to do your Venus setup (Venus/Cerbo+RPi or Venus custom install on RPi)

If you just want real time monitoring you could get a Venus/Cerbo and then either connect its display or setup a network and view your Venus console via you phone

2 |3000

micserver avatar image
micserver answered ·

I like home automation & visualisation, using it intensive in my house... using my mobile home I want to follow this hobby also... that's why I try to evaluate what makes sense for me...

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

In that case you should consider to buy a GX device or raspberry pi + Venus OS.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Another consideration for remote monitoring will have to be whether it will be connected to VRM via the GSM network or wifi. Naturally if you can use it for much more as I have an installation I monitor and configure (firmware updates, multi config etc.) 8k km away.

0 Likes 0 ·
micserver avatar image micserver Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

OK, means I need a GX device to get the MPPT connected to VRM or the RASPI solution ... there is no direkt way reading out the data ... something as MQTT or JSON....

Correct?

Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered ·

In our mobile home is a Cerbo GX. The data can be seen in the VRM portal. Search for "Banu WoMo". This is good remote monitoring. Unfortunately, devices cannot be switched on / off via the VRM. That would be another good product in Victron Energy's portfolio.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic